Windows 10 Scandinavian letters on US keyboard?

Mothil

Hi there!
I figured this question should sort of be appropriate here, considering I don't have this problem on my macbook.
So I just got my desktop pc back, and it feels great - however, I've run into a couple problems. One of those said problems is writing norwegian letters on my keyboard.

Right now I use US keyboard layout. It kind of worked when I used US-International, but in that one, these three keys are dead: ~, " and '. I'll admit I don't know if fixing the dead keys or finding a new way to write them is the best option. I've googled and found some answers saying I could use "Alt + 0230" etcetera, but I find that to be very ineffective. My macbook has something along these lines:

Option+A = å
Option+O = ø
Option+' (apostrophe key) = æ

Anyone know if I can get a similar setup whilst not getting dead keys? (I think the US-International one uses Alt + Z, Alt + W and Alt + P. I have nothing against those keybindings, but dead keys are a problem in that layout).
Appreciate any and all help. :)

Aww, that's a shame. I wish it was as easy here on Windows as it is on the mac. If I don't find a way to skip dead keys on international, I'll take a look at that link. Thank you for the reply. :)

Yeah Windows has always been slow to add new features IMO. I'm a heavy Linux user myself.

I'd love to get more into Linux, but I had a hard time understanding Wine... apart from that, not much.

It is easy:
AltGr key and z to get æ
AltGr key and l to get ø
and AltGr key and w to get å

the AltGr key normally resides directly right of the space bar

There are more codes, unfortunately I have only a link in the dutch language, but I am sure that you will find a beter, but here it is: Hoe je typt - alt codes en tekstgenerators

Henk

I'm afraid it's not that easy. It does work on International, but not on US.
However, if I'm on international, these buttons require me to write space or some other letter after: (", ' and ~).

I think it works on an US international keyboard, that is what I have.
Select that or add that keyboard.

I can, and have used it for some time, but as I've said twice now:

If I then press either of these keys: " ' ~
the keyboard requires me to press another button (mostly use space) to execute the key, which is extremely frustrating.
After googling I found out they are called "dead keys".

I just tried it, and after creating it, it is recognized as "Unavailable Input Method". At least it feels like I'm not the right way, but still... A lot of hassle.

I can, and have used it for some time, but as I've said twice now:

If I then press either of these keys: " ' ~
the keyboard requires me to press another button (mostly use space) to execute the key, which is extremely frustrating.
After googling I found out they are called "dead keys".

Well, yes, those 'dead keys', they come in handy in languages with lots of ö, é and è characters.
And other more Nordic characters as the æ ø and å are also close at hand.
But the in your case nasty side effect is that some characters like ' " ` need two key strokes.
And personally I hate those Alt <number> codings.......
Is there a good choise? I don't know.

Again, I have not experimented with it, but, is it possible to have another language virtual desktop keyboard, from the hardware one? That would be a solution. You could type normally and use the scandinavian keys from the virtual one.

I just turned on my computer, and it's (intentionally using apostrophe to check it again) working!
" " ' ' ~ ~ ^ ^
åå ææ øø

It seems like microsoft keyboard creator was the way to go, it just didn't work until I restarted the computer. I should have seen that coming, but hey, at least it's working now. :)

Back