Security Essentials

jimlau

does Windows 7 Pro have Security Essentials in it? I notice on downloads files are scanned, tho not sure what does it.

Thanks.

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
Hi, Windows 7 pro has Defender as it's default malware app. You can replace this however by downloading and installing Microsoft security essentials found here: Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows

jimlau

thanks. i think i got a quick message while on-line saying my computer was infected, and i think it was said in a microsoft essentials window. not dure if it was legit or not. if i scan with defender and find nothing, as well as with malwarebytes and kaspersky, any need to try with essentials?

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
Hmm usually malwarebytes will catch anything if it's there.. I'd upgrade to MSE anyway, it's better than Defender and coupled with Malwarebytes it's the best set up (ant-virus wise), that's free, around.

for Home version I agree that you have to download it which is available via windows update.
Even its free I still go with Avast and Malwarebytes. :)

iftieaq

Use windows defender. It's best.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.