Windows 7 Serious Update Problems

Cheemag

Extraordinary Member
Me again,

I have a new Win7 Pro machine. It appears it's only updated to SP-1.

Yesterday I asked it to check for updates. It returned 'Checking for Updates'. It was still checking for updates when I went to bed with no result. Other machines would come back with the number and type of updates available or 'No updates available'.

Today an update message popped up saying updates were available. There were 160-odd (as I recall).As this was clearly too many to do in one go, I stopped the update hoping to be able to download a few at a time. Now it tells me it's checking for updates but never gets any further than that.

How should I best proceed should it eventually decide to tell me there are 160-odd updates available ?

Regards,

Cheemag

Lately and especially on Windows 7 Windows updates are tasking a very long time so you need patience first of all and I would also go into Power Options in Windows and temporarily change plan settings to "never" for monitor and hard drive then "save settings" so that Power Management will not interfere with WU completing and walk away this could take up to 12 hours and if you try to do smaller increments it could take weeks to finish the task.

How do you install updates incrementally? I don't seem to have the option.

Anyway there is a conundrum with this machine: MS' popup says it has 122 updates for me. In my updates record I have, at a guess, a hundred or more which are, it says, already installed.

On the other hand, another dialogue in Updates says no updates have ever been applied !

I'm inclined to think that the updates have already been applied by the company who supplied the machine (they are rather vague about this).

Is there any way, other than via Windows Update, to determine whether I have the updates or not, and if I have the updates, how in future do I get hold of only the ones I need ?

Thanks and Regards,

Cheemag.

How do you install updates incrementally? I don't seem to have the option.

Anyway there is a conundrum with this machine: MS' popup says it has 122 updates for me. In my updates record I have, at a guess, a hundred or more which are, it says, already installed.

On the other hand, another dialogue in Updates says no updates have ever been applied !

I'm inclined to think that the updates have already been applied by the company who supplied the machine (they are rather vague about this).

Is there any way, other than via Windows Update, to determine whether I have the updates or not, and if I have the updates, how in future do I get hold of only the ones I need ?

Thanks and Regards,

Cheemag.

There is no "incremental" setting. I was echoing someone on this thread who suggested you do a few at a time, the classic definition of incremental

There is no "incremental" setting. I was echoing someone on this thread who suggested you do a few at a time, the classic definition of incremental
Please clarify your statement above. I see no one replying to this issue but myself, you, and the OP. Is that a echo??
Maybe I missed some thing here!:D:eek:

Sorry the above is my clarification.
"As this was clearly too many to do in one go, I stopped the update hoping to be able to download a few at a time."
"Hoping to download a few at a time"= incremental

OK Thanks for your reply! I'm assuming the echo was you then! Or was the echo the OP??
Now I'm really confused!:D OH well I've been confused before:rofl:
I guess the echo had to come from one of the three who posted on this thread.:rofl::scratch:
I love these little icons. They add a lot to the replies!!;):)

Well, whatever ... it hasn't come up today saying it has hundreds of updates ready and there are no updates available for the other Windows 7 machine, so it's fingers crossed for the moment.

Regards,

Cheemag

Well, whatever ... it hasn't come up today saying it has hundreds of updates ready and there are no updates available for the other Windows 7 machine, so it's fingers crossed for the moment.

Regards,

Cheemag

Unfortunately Update is again offering 122 updates.

I've determined that the updates that are installed all all pre-SP-1, so it looks like I will have to go ahead with the update process.

Apart from altering the power option to keep the system live, is there anything else to look out for/set in motion before I let it rip ?
E.g. what about if some updates require user input/restart etc ? Or will the updates proceed from start to finish without any user interaction ?

Appreciate your input.

Regards

Cheemag

Hi Cheemag,
you should not need to restart until the updates have been applied (all of them).

Hi Cheemag,
you should not need to restart until the updates have been applied (all of them).

OK. But now I have an even more massive update problem:

Following a failed disc cleanup on C: yesterday, from which I was unable to recover, I was obliged to re-install the OS, which leaves me at SP-1 period. :eek:(((

I just wonder if I could carry on without updating by relying on Kaspersky 2016 and Malwarebytes to keep me safe for a few years ?

Is this feasible ?

Regards,

Cheemag

I wouldn't risk it Cheemag as there are simply hundreds if not thousands of security fixes in those updates. Some will close vulnerabilities found within the os which neither kaspersky or Malwarebytes will cater for so yes you do need them really.
If you have your update settings on 'check for updates but ask me whether to download and install them' you can simply check off a few updates at a time. I used to do this and it takes the strain off somewhat.
Try installing them in batches of 10 or 20?

I wouldn't risk it Cheemag as there are simply hundreds if not thousands of security fixes in those updates. Some will close vulnerabilities found within the os which neither kaspersky or Malwarebytes will cater for so yes you do need them really.
If you have your update settings on 'check for updates but ask me whether to download and install them' you can simply check off a few updates at a time. I used to do this and it takes the strain off somewhat.
Try installing them in batches of 10 or 20?

Yes, that seems a sensible idea. I'll try it. Thanks

Regards

Cheemag

Good luck!
I know it's a pain but hopefully this way it won't be so bad?

I'll keep me fingers crossed.. :)

Good luck!
I know it's a pain but hopefully this way it won't be so bad?

I'll keep me fingers crossed.. :)

Thanks for that.

I set it to check for updates yesterday : it spent all afternoon and evening checking for updates without any result.

This morning a popup offered updates. Clicking it took me to Control Panel/Windows Update. No updates were offered or even enumerated. Only choice was to return to check for updates. It's still checking for updates without any obvious activity.

Regards

Cheemag

By any chance are you missing the indication that some updates require a shut down to install them?
If so there would be a sort of large exclamation point over the word "shut down" on the Start Menu.

Back