Windows 7 Sharing virtual XP files on a network with non Windows 7 systems

tpternus

Background: We have an accounting business that services multiple clients. All of the clients files are stored on a single server system which also must be able to access the account files on the server. We have 4 additional computers (hardwire attached via a 1000 Mbps) network that must be able to access any of the customer files on the server. We use Quickbooks exclusively, but to be compatible with our clients, we use releases 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 of Quickbooks. We needed a higher performance and more reliable system for our server system so we replaced it with a 3 gig quad processor with fast disks. This system came with Windows 7 pro and a processor capable of supporting virtualization. Only QB 2010 is compatible with Windows 7 in native mode so we activated virtual XP and installed the older versions of QB in the XP environment.

Now for the problem: Everything seems to work fine except for file sharing between the virtual and non virtual environments. All applications on the remote processors can share files on the new Windows 7 system, but the applications running in the virtual XP mode no the Windows 7 system cannot access these files. I have looked everywhere and tried everything I can think of to no avail. Also, for background info, the remote systems are Vista of XP sp 3.:(

Maybe I am overly anxious for a solution to my problem, or maybe I don't understand how this forum works, but after 60+ views of the problem, I would hope for some direction to a solution. As a little added input, before I submitted this problem to the forum I consulted with Quickbooks support, but they were only vaguely familiar with the virtual XP environment. I had also consulted with HP support since I purchased the computer from them and they are required to provide the support for Windows on their systems. This was a total fiasco. The first level support said they only support Windows 7? like the virtual environment is not part of Windows 7? At any rate, they referred me to their fee support which said they could help me, but after a half hour it was clear that the support rep had never had his hands on virtual XP - he had to ask me how to initiate virtual XP, how to start Quickbooks in that environment, etc.

I am concerned that there maybe a fundamental problem with Windows 7 that is preventing file sharing between virtual XP and native Windows 7. I would appreciate any information on how to escalate this problem to Microsoft for an answer.

Hi Tpternus, Are you using windows xp mode and windows virtual pc downloaded from microsoft or was it preinstalled.
If you are using virtual xp or vmware or similar it wont work correctly.
Here is a quote from Microsoft.

[FONT=&quot]To share host drives [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

1. [FONT=&quot]Open the Virtual Machines folder. From the Start menu, click Windows Virtual PC. If the menu item is not visible, click All Programs, click the Windows Virtual PC folder, and then click Windows Virtual PC.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=&quot]From the Virtual Machines folder, right-click the name of the virtual machine and then click Settings. The Windows Virtual PC Settings page opens.[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=&quot]In the left pane, click Integration Features. In the right pane, click Drives. [/FONT]
  4. [FONT=&quot]Review the list of drives, Tick the check box of any drive that you want to share, and click OK.[/FONT]
  5. [FONT=&quot] Also try this link [/FONT]Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode
  6. I hope that I have been of help but chances are you have allready tried or know most of what I have suggested.It is worth using the link as there is a wealth of info about this subject.

Hi timsuddaby, thanks for the reply. In answer to your question, I am using windows xp mode and windows virtual pc downloaded from microsoft. I have also implemented the directions from microsoft re sharing host drives and I have checked out the link Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode but it isn't working for me. Have you actually implemented a system according to these directions and are you able to create a file in virtual XP mode and then access the same file in the native Windows 7 environment or from an XP or Vista system on a network? If you are doing this, then I either am doing something wrong or I have something different in my environment. I have tried reinstalling the system several times, but I keep getting the same results.

The answer to your question is yes I have implemented a system following this guide and yes I can access and create files on the network using windows 7 and Xp mode.
I will answer in more depth tomorrow.

[FONT=&quot]Sorry I took so long to get back to you but I made a walkthrough for you but cant seem to post it here.Maybe I can put the walkthrough in an email.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Let me know if you would like this info.
[/FONT]
Applications that you install onto the Virtual Windows XP will be visible
in Windows 7 ONLY if the applications you installed are for All Users. If
you have accidentally installed an application for a specific user, you
MUST move it to All Users: right-click XP’s Start menu and
choose Explore All Users. Do this again, but choose “Explore.” Find the
application you installed and drag it to the corresponding location in
the All Users Start menu.

Thanks for your persistence in trying to help me with this and I would very much appreciate anything you may have. You can email me at [email protected]. I'm not sure what you mean by "Applications that you install onto the Virtual Windows XP will be visible
in Windows 7 ". I can invoke the applications from the Windows 7 Start menu. However I cannot see the Virtual XP application's data files from native Windows 7. I have set our network up so that everyone has access to everything since at any point in time anyone can work on any clients files - with the limitation that no two people are working on the same file at the same time. I will check out the All Users suggestion to make sure I don't have a problem there.

This note is directed to timsuddaby - All programs I am using in the virtual XP mode were installed in the All Users folder so I am still looking for a solution. Can you please send me the "walk through" that you referenced before. It amazes me that after 260+ hits on this thread I have not yet found a solution - I still seriously question whether files created by applications running in the virtual XP mode can be shared with applications in the native Windows 7 environment and other applications on the network. If this is a true limitation of the virtual XP environment it seriously limits the usefullness of this as a solution for XP compatibility. I may soon have to scrap Windows 7 and replace it with XP.

Hello tpternus,
You can checkout this article with regard to Windows7: Homegroups -does work a bit differently in comparison to Windows XP.
Link Removed - Invalid URL
To learn more about Windows 7 Security Enhancements please go here:
Windows 7 Security Enhancements
John M
Microsoft Windows Client Support

I believe virtual XP on Windows 7 is broken

I don't believe it is currently possible to create a file in Virtual XP on Windows 7 and share it
with non Windows 7 systems on a network!!!

Back
Top Bottom