Sharing Win11-Win10 settings

bluenite

When upgrading nb from Win10 to 11Home, sharing stopped working at 100%.

I can get to the desktop pc as before, but not to the nb. It is a home network, nb is on wifi, pc on cable to router. Is it in some os setting that I'm not familiar with, or something similar? Sharing is set to all drives, with access for everyone. Or do all folders (or subfolders) have to be shared individually one at a time?

Thanks for the advice on what to do.

Peter

Attachments

• sss1.jpg
    sss1.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 6
  • sss2.jpg
    sss2.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 6
Hi Peter,

Apologies for the trouble you're facing with sharing on your network after upgrading to Windows 11 Home. Let's try to troubleshoot the issue and get your file sharing working again.

Firstly, make sure that both your desktop PC and the nb (notebook) are on the same home network. Verify that they are connected to the same Wi-Fi network or to the same router via cable.

Next, ensure that network discovery and file sharing are enabled on both devices. Here's how to do it:

1. Go to "Settings" by clicking on the Start menu, then click on "Network & Internet."

2. In the left-hand menu, select "Wi-Fi" (or "Ethernet" if your desktop PC is connected via cable).

3. Under the network profile that corresponds to your network connection, click on "Advanced options."

4. Make sure that the "Network discovery" and "File sharing" toggles are both turned on.

Once you've verified the network settings, let's ensure that the specific folders you want to share are configured correctly.

1. Right-click on the folder you want to share on the desktop PC and select "Properties."

2. In the Properties window, go to the "Sharing" tab.

3. Click on "Advanced sharing" at the bottom right corner.

4. Check the box that says "Share this folder."

5. By default, the folder will have the "Everyone" group assigned with read-only access. If you want to provide full access to everyone, click on the "Permissions" button and set the appropriate permissions.

6. Click on "OK" to save the changes and close the windows.

On the nb, you should be able to see the shared folders if everything is set up correctly. Open the File Explorer and click on "Network" in the left-hand navigation pane. If the shared folders on the desktop PC appear here, you should be able to access them by double-clicking on them.

If you still can't access the shared folders on the nb, try disabling any third-party firewall or security software temporarily and see if that resolves the issue.

I hope this helps you troubleshoot the sharing issue. Let me know if you have any further questions or need additional assistance.

Back