Windows 7 Should I say, Goodbye MSE

Ken, Yes, don't run them or such things @ the same time, nor even have more than 1 installed @ the same time. Level of protection... on Win7 MSE & maybe an occasional running of Malwarebytes, should be fine. You might, also, add BrowserGuard from TrendMicro & I recommend SpywareBlaster, the free version is fine, just needs periodic manual updating. Nice your resource usage is where it is now. It's ok to mess w/ more than 1 malware scan, ie Defender, House Calls & Malwarebytes, just not more than 1 anti-virus. You might like having a CPU gauge on your Desktop to always see core usage & RAM levels easily in real-time. The 1 in Gadgets sucks but, if you go to Find More Gadgets there are a couple... 1 is All CPU Meter & another you'll see there is Core Temp Gadget 2.7... I've kept 1 of them on my Desktop for a long time, very appealing. Cheers, Drew

As far as MSE goes, although I only use it on XP Mode, it's very user friendly on XP, Vista & 7. It even has a control to limit your CPU usage during a scan. I left it at 50%. If only a virus scan were running, it may hit 35%.

Cat

HI catilley1092 - I have MSE installed with CPU usage limted to 50%. What do I need to do to use it in XP Mode?

Ken

Last edited:
You install it in the XP same as any other OS or computer. The XP & the Host are, in effect, like two separate & distinct machines.

Last edited:
HI catilley1092 - I have MSE installed with CPU usage limted to 50%. What do I need to do to use it in XP Mode?

Ken
It should be offered as an update, once you install all other updates, and there are no more. After you do that, on that page, there's the option to upgrade to Microsoft Update, where you can obtain optional updates such as MSE, Silverlight & Windows Live products. Being that it's XP Mode, I stay away from the Windows Live stuff, but there are users who may needs it.

Click to install Microsoft Update, the ActiveX script near the top of the screen will ask you for verification, go ahead, after installation of Microsoft Update, than scan, using the "Custom" updates option. You'll see MSE.

If you have any problems, post back, we can help.

Cat

Both Win 7 and MSE are up-to-date. Where should I look to find XT Mode?

Ken
To add to Drew's correct answer, if you're running 7 Home Premium & want to upgrade to 7 Pro, this can be easily done through the Start Menu. There's a "Windows Anytime Upgrade" option. You have 2 options, buy a key from the Microsoft Store, a 5 minute transaction, you'll be emailed the key, then you enter it in the place provided. It takes about 10-15 minutes, depending on your ISP speed & whatever updates are needed. Both my PC & notebook has been upgraded in this manner with no problems.

But that's the most costly option to upgrade to Pro in this manner, usually with taxes, it's almost $100 from MS Store. You can save $25 on Amazon for the same product, only difference is that you'll have to wait for it to arrive by mail.

Amazon.com: Microsoft Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade [Home Premium to Professional]: Software

Then, you have your system to consider before installing XP Mode. You should have at least 4GB RAM installed (64 bit), so that you can "lend" either 768MB or 1GB RAM to it. It installs with 512MB by default, but that's not enough to suit most users. With this amount of RAM, MSE is the only choice to have any kind of decent performance. Remember, XP Mode has to be setup just as a regular install, with whatever programs you want. It also needs maintenance, like defragging, running virus scans, etc.

Another consideration is your CPU. I highly suggest that your CPU is at least a dual core that runs at 2.0GHz or more. Because my desktop has only a 1.5 dual core, and XP Mode causes the PC to scream after a couple of minutes of usage. It's constantly pegged at 100% usage.

But on my MSI notebook with 8GB RAM & i5 dual core running at 2.66MHz with 2.93 Turbo Boost, I can lend 3GB RAM to XP Mode, and the system is under no strain at all.

These are some things to consider when you make these upgrades, especially if the only reason that you want 7 Pro is to have XP Mode. If you're going to use it, it's worth it. Software & hardware (such as printers) that won't run on Windows 7 will usually run through XP Mode.

Cat

You should have at least 4GB RAM installed (64 bit), so that you can "lend" either 768MB or 1GB RAM to it. It installs with 512MB by default, but that's not enough to suit most users. With this amount of RAM, MSE is the only choice to have any kind of decent performance. Remember, XP Mode has to be setup just as a regular install, with whatever programs you want. It also needs maintenance, like defragging, running virus scans, etc.

Another consideration is your CPU. I highly suggest that your CPU is at least a dual core that runs at 2.0GHz or more. Because my desktop has only a 1.5 dual core, and XP Mode causes the PC to scream after a couple of minutes of usage. It's constantly pegged at 100% usage.
Cat

Downloaded Windows XP Mode to my notebook which has 4GB RAM and a 2.2 GHz CPU; installed Windows XP Professional SP3 as Quest; Windows 7 Ultimate is Host; updated XP for 88 items and installed MSE.

Should I run Macrium, Reflect in the virtual machine under Windows XP?

What about CCleaner where should I run it?

Under Windows 7 I run IE9 with iGoogle home page and the following Add-ons: Google Toolbar and Google Toolbar Help, Google Search, and Google Mapping. What if I used IE8 as my browser under Windows XP with the same add-ons?

Last edited:
Hi Ken,

Cool about the DL & install. MSE needs to be on both the Host machine & virtual machines... in your case, right now, the XP. VMs need security, same as physical machines. Seems your a big fan of google; I would discourage use of the toolbar. Yes, you can, certainly, treat the XP pretty much the same... except for things that won't run on it, of course.

You should install & run CCleaner on both 7 & the XP vm.

Ken, that XP machine is like an actual, distinct computer... treat it like any other.

What size did you make the XP vhd? How much RAM did you assign it? ā€¦ just curious/

Cheers,
Drew

The only real difference there is with XP Mode, or any VM that's installed on the host, is that the backup software is still installed & ran on the host. Just backup your computer as normal, XP Mode will backup with it.

All of your other software that you want to install on XP Mode is OK. As long as you lent enough RAM to it to run properly. Having 4GB RAM & a 2.2GHz CPU, you should be able to lend 1GB (1024MB) RAM to XP Mode w/o affecting the host OS that much. MSE will be fine, but as Drew has already pointed out, it will need to be installed on both. You'll also need to defrag XP Mode, VM's need all of the help that they can get. You can either run XP's defrag option, or another such as Defraggler & Auslogics Disk Defrag, both are available from File Hippo.

FileHippo.com - Download Free Software

There are many everyday software applications that many of us runs daily on that site. Any more questions, feel free to ask, as I have 2 versions of XP Mode installed. If you're comfortable with doing registry editing within XP Mode, I'll show you how to make that dull looking (16 bit color) screen look better, in 24 bit color mode. Makes a big difference, and it's a 5 minute deal.

Takes more time to read & understand the instructions than it does to actually do it. But if you're not comfortable in working with the registry settings, I'd advise against it. Just letting you know your options for a better looking XP Mode.

Cat

Here's that link to make XP Mode have 24 bit color. Read the instructions carefully before proceeding. That is, if you want to do it.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Cat

Hi Ken,

VMs need security, same as physical machines.

Drew

I have downloaded and ran MSE and CClean in quest OS; both ran smoothly. Should I also install Macrium Reflect?

In Win 7 I setup a seperate menu for KCAV (administrator) than MLMH (User) and disabled Guest. Quest OS uses C:\Documents and Settings\XPUser\Start Menu by default. Where should I put menu shortcuts for User?

I Win 7 I placed shortcuts in C:/Users/< >/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows /
StartMenu /Programs. What directory should I use in Win XP?

Last edited:
I have downloaded and ran MSE and CClean in quest OS; both ran smoothly. Should I also install Macrium Reflect?

In Win 7 I setup a seperate menu for KCAV (administrator) than MLMH (User) and disabled Guest. Quest OS uses C:\Documents and Settings\XPUser\Start Menu by default. Where should I put menu shortcuts for User?

I Win 7 I placed shortcuts in C:/Users/< >/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows /
StartMenu /Programs. What directory should I use in Win XP?
You don't need to put Macrium Reflect inside of XP Mode, as when you backup your computer, XP Mode will be backed up along with it.

XP Mode is like a file. If you have a backup program such as Acronis True Image, or Todo (the free version), you can backup XP Mode as a file. Because actually that's what it is, a huge file.

Any programs that you install within XP Mode will place their shortcuts inside of it, just as a physical machine. The only shortcuts that's placed within Windows 7 itself are in the Start Menu, those are Windows Virtual PC, and XP Mode. If you have any adjustments to make to XP Mode, such as allocating RAM, open Windows Virtual PC, your XP Mode will be listed, click onto that, and "Change Settings" will be shown. Here, you can fine tune anything that needs it, like how much RAM you want to give it, and other options that you'll see.

Cat

As far as MSE goes, although I only use it on XP Mode, it's very user friendly on XP

Hi Cat - you got me started on using XP Mode. I have MSE installed and CClean in XP Mode and I'm going to add a printer that works fine but there is no driver for Win 7. What else should I do in XP Mode?

I have two applications that are quite old but plan to keep using them. They run under Windows 7 but maybe they will run quicker under XP? The apps are Adobe, PSE 5 and Nero Ultra 7. What do you think?

Ken

Hi Ken,

Seems your a big fan of google; I would discourage use of the toolbar.

What size did you make the XP vhd? How much RAM did you assign it?

Drew

I liked the iGoogle homepage, from there my interest in using Google Add-ons grew. What's wrong with using the toolbar?

Right now I'm using the default settings for RAM and VHD. I am not sure what to run in XP Mode other than MSE. I have two old programs that may run better there. I don't know. The programs are Photoshop Elements 5 and Nero Ultra 7. I also have a Lexmark X-75 inkjet printer for which there is no Win 7 driver. Once I determine what to do in XP Mode I can decide on memory and disk space.

Ken

The defaults are generally just fine, certainly, @ the onset. The HDD is what it is but, RAM can be changed anytime, but, not whilst the vm is running.

Might just be me, Ken. I lost enthusiasm for toolbars in general, long time ago. As for google, specifically, 1 thing is a concern over it's pop-up blocker... there is, already, 1 in the OS, potential conflicts bother me & I've never found a way to shut google's off.

For security, MSE pretty much does the trick w/out anything other than MSE.

Cheers,
Drew

For security, MSE pretty much does the trick w/out anything other than MSE.
Drew

What do I need do to allow Microsoft Security Essentials to run automatically late at night without manual intervention. I have MSE installed in XP Mode and set to check for updates before running a Full scan around 2AM Daily. My Custom Power Plans are set to never put the computer to sleep, never turn off the hard drive, and do nothing when I close the lid.

I have MSE installed in Windows 7 and in Windows XP. I can access MSE in XP Mode directly from the Windows 7 Program menu. Do I need to run real time protection in both the host and guest?

Ken

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom