Windows 7 Should I say, Goodbye MSE

I lost enthusiasm for toolbars in general, long time ago..... thing is a concern over it's pop-up blocker.
Drew

Google seems to have a comprehensive set of Add-ons, and iGoogle provides a flexible, centralize connection point to the Internet. But I detest Pop-ups. I don't think there is a simple answer to how to interface with the Internet. I plan to use Google as base for comparison. Should I start new post on this?

As you like, Ken. It' just comes down to being like many things... a personal, individual 'comfort zone'. The 'happy' toolset for one person may well not be the same for another. Consider & try things, keep what feels good, chuck the rest & hopefully that's aided if, one maybe, finds some good advice, as well, along the way. There are & ppl will use varying approaches to the Net or configuring a Desktop or their machine... bit like, there are rarely 2 identical Harleys.

Hi Cat - you got me started on using XP Mode. I have MSE installed and CClean in XP Mode and I'm going to add a printer that works fine but there is no driver for Win 7. What else should I do in XP Mode?

I have two applications that are quite old but plan to keep using them. They run under Windows 7 but maybe they will run quicker under XP? The apps are Adobe, PSE 5 and Nero Ultra 7. What do you think?

Ken
Ken, what you have to do to install that printer is when XP Mode is open, at the top, there's menus. You need to attach the USB (shared) device to XP Mode, using those controls. The same way that you attach your USB Flash drives and such. Once you've attached the printer (being that it doesn't run on Windows 7, it may show as an unidentified device), then you can install the printer as normal. Sometimes, you may have to plug it into another USB slot to work, but this is rare.

Try it out and see what happens. I'm rooting for you, you've got this far, you can do it!
icon14.gif

Cat

Ken, a person can put whatever they like on either of them as long as the OS supports whatever it is. Things should run about the same, if all is equal which , it's not, can't be. A VM may not be expected to be quite up to the performance of a Host machine, usually. XP needs Nero, Windows7 does not. PSE 5, as you like but, both OSs need Adobe Reader & Flash.

You seem to be enjoying yourself since I gave you the link to Windows VPC & XP Mode. Good stuff :thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

Cheers,
Drew

You seem to be enjoying yourself since I gave you the link to Windows VPC & XP Mode. Good stuff :thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

A VM may not be expected to be quite up to the performance of a Host machine, usually. XP needs Nero, Windows7 does not. PSE 5, as you like but, both OSs need Adobe Reader & Flash.,
Drew

Life is good. --- I feel good about progress made as a result of answers received on this Forum. For instance, the excessive CPU consumption I was experiencing with MSE went away since I did a complete reinstall. The problem must not have been caused by MSE. Now I'm using Macrium, Reflect for BU and it is faster and makes an image file 1/3 the size of what I was using. So I'm on the road to being able to make a Quisk system restore. Life iIs Good.

Everything works to a degree --- how can I improve system performance with XP-Mode? I have it installed and I can access it from menu in Win 7. Should I run Nero Ultra 7 in XP Mode? In Windows 7 I plan to run Office 10 and Dragon Naturally Speaking.

Ken

Life is good. --- I feel good about progress made as a result of answers received on this Forum. For instance, the excessive CPU consumption I was experiencing with MSE went away since I did a complete reinstall. The problem must not have been caused by MSE. Now I'm using Macrium, Reflect for BU and it is faster and makes an image file 1/3 the size of what I was using. So I'm on the road to being able to make a Quisk system restore. Life iIs Good.

Everything works to a degree --- how can I improve system performance with XP-Mode? I have it installed and I can access it from menu in Win 7. Should I run Nero Ultra 7 in XP Mode? In Windows 7 I plan to run Office 10 and Dragon Naturally Speaking.

Ken
I hope that you have better luck with Office 2010 on XP Mode than I did. I didn't have the resources (on my desktop).

But you have a 2.2GHz CPU, that may help a lot.

Cat

Yes, Ken, XP needs a burning software, such as Nero. Cat, he has 4Gigs of RAM... lot there for the vm to be happy, even if Office 2010 was on it. The XP could easily be assigned 1.5G, even 2.

Ken, you have some sort of 6 core CPU, right?

Drew

Yes, Ken, XP needs a burning software, such as Nero. Cat, he has 4Gigs of RAM... lot there for the vm to be happy, even if Office 2010 was on it. The XP could easily be assigned 1.5G, even 2.

Drew
I have 4GB RAM on my desktop also, but the CPU is 1.5GHz. XP Mode makes it scream.

On my notebook, different story. i5 CPU @2.66GHz with 2.90 Turbo Boost, 8GB DDR3 1333 (10666) RAM. I lend XP Mode 3GB RAM, give it 24 bit True Color, using the registry hack that I previously posted, it does fine.

Cat

... Now I'm using Macrium, Reflect for BU and it is faster and makes an image file 1/3 the size of what I was using....

An excellent choice. I can back up my 100gb drive containing 35gb of stuff in 8 or 9 mins, with verification on auto (a result of trying the trial version out first) it takes about 15 mins. A re-install of said back-up takes 15 to 20 mins. I do a weekly back up, sometimes interspersed with another if I'm doing major software changes.

I hope that you have better luck with Office 2010 on XP Mode than I did. I didn't have the resources (on my desktop).
Cat

I am very concerned about how to work within the perfromance limitations of my system. I have installed XP-Mode but the only software I have setup to run there is MSE and CCLean. I do have an old printer for which there is no Win 7 driver that I plan to install there.
Undecided what else to run there; considering browsing the Internet in XP Mode, and once I decide to trust a website, enter it my browser under Win 7?

Ken

Drew

According to Speccy , my CPU is:

Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T7500
Cores 2
Threads 2
Name Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T7500
Code Name Merom
Package Socket P (478)
Technology 65nm
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz
Family 6
Extended Family 6
Model F
Extended Model F
Stepping B
Revision G0
Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, Intel 64
Virtualization Supported, Enabled
Hyperthreading Not supported
Bus Speed 199.5 MHz
Rated Bus Speed 798.0 MHz
Stock Core Speed 2200 MHz
Stock Bus Speed 200 MHz
Average Temperature 51 Ā°C
Caches
L1 Data Cache Size 2 x 32 KBytes
L1 Instructions Cache Size 2 x 32 KBytes
L2 Unified Cache Size 4096 KBytes
Core 0
Core 1

Ah, ok; was thinking of another. No matter, goes back to you pondering being able to have a vm run well. Your machine is plenty robust for that.

Drew

i have used both, and i have noticed false positives from avg, mse is proving to be by far the better of the two. avg tries too hard to upsell it's free version, which is a real pain at times

If someone refused to use MSE then, yes, certainly, Avast.

Way back, before MSE, used it & gave it to clients, fine product & company.

However, both can give issues... MSE doesn't.

& what Joe said!

Drew

I uninstalled AVG after noticing that it found a few things over time that weren't real there. hmm. - never liked being stuck with a free version, nagged repeatedly to buy the payware version. I reason it this way, my operating system is Microsoft, so is my (free) antimalware/antivirus, mse. Who knows Windows better?

I had MSE 4 on my old computer I gave to my grandmother. Version 2 is fine but version 4 I already had two BSOD. The first one was about a half hour after installing version 4 then again last week. Me and my mother were going to switch to MSE when our NOD32 subscription expired but now we don't want to take a chance so we renewed them for all three of our computers. I took MSE 4 off of my grandmothers computer and put NOD32 on there. If it still BSOD then I know it is the computers fault as it is old from 2007 but still fast and I will have to get her a new one.

I had MSE 4 on my old computer I gave to my grandmother. Version 2 is fine but version 4 I already had two BSOD. The first one was about a half hour after installing version 4 then again last week. Me and my mother were going to switch to MSE when our NOD32 subscription expired but now we don't want to take a chance so we renewed them for all three of our computers. I took MSE 4 off of my grandmothers computer and put NOD32 on there. If it still BSOD then I know it is the computers fault as it is old from 2007 but still fast and I will have to get her a new one.

bsod's are usually caused by bad drivers lurking after an install/uninstall, or a hardware failure.
mse doesn't cause them to my knowledge. can you boot to safe mode? what is the bsod error. nod32 is good software in my book, but mse, properly updated, is free and i think just as good or better.
since you already renewed, keep using but look at drivers or hardware as your most likely culprits, especially on older computers

Well folks=I guess I will be the odd man out here for MSE gave me more heartaches on windows 7 than I care to state on both my Sandy Bridge I7 and AMD 6 core machines. For 4 months I fought to find the culprit (but im old and slow) and when I disabled MSE, all was fine, I'll just use Avast!

Back
Top Bottom