Windows 7 Should I update RC to RTM?

mishagale

So Win7 is now on MSDN Academic Alliance, which means, as a Comp-Sci student, I get it for free, hooray huzzah etc. What I'm wondering, is should I really bother installing the final version instead of the Release Candidate I've been running? OK, I know I'll have to eventually, since the RC has a builtin expiration date, but given that everything is currently working pretty much OK, is there any pressing reason to do a fresh install sooner rather than later?

Misha

Sooner rather than later

So Win7 is now on MSDN Academic Alliance, which means, as a Comp-Sci student, I get it for free, hooray huzzah etc. What I'm wondering, is should I really bother installing the final version instead of the Release Candidate I've been running? OK, I know I'll have to eventually, since the RC has a builtin expiration date, but given that everything is currently working pretty much OK, is there any pressing reason to do a fresh install sooner rather than later?

Misha

Misha, while there is probably no compelling reason to make the move from RC to RTM at any particular moment between now and RC expiration date, there are a few factors contributing to your timing. Any updates or patches that are issued between now and RC expiration will quite possibly not be applied to the RC. The longer you use the RC, the more items you will have accumulated that you want to transfer to the RTM which will require more time and attention at transfer time. Depending the RC version that you are using, you MAY find a small item or two in the RTM that you prefer over the RC version. Also consider the fact "You're gonna have to switch sometime", so the sooner you get it done, the sooner you will have that event behind you so you can move on.

What am I saying? Sooner is probably better than later? Just look for the easiest CONVENIENT time and get it behind you.

edit: DO NOT do this on some weeknight during mid semester. Pick a time when a couple of days without the computer will not create a disaster for you...............just in case.

Good luck to you.

Thanks John, if the RC won't be getting new updates that's probably a good enough reason to upgrade, just finished downloading the .iso, so I'll pick a good time and do the install in a the near future.

Hi John3347,

don't mean to butt in with a change of subject...but I thought since u mentioned security patches I'd ask.....I ve noticed many updates on the "update History" saying "...W7 update for Win7 RC..." etc...just wondering...i thought after the RTM release these would stop?

I am not certain about updates and patches for the RC.........maybe so, maybe no. I did say "Quite possibly" RC may not get the same attention as RTM. It MAY yet be that RTM may get some non security related patches while RC MIGHT only get security related updates. Within limits of convenience, I probably would go for sooner rather than later, but that is just my opinion influenced by my personality. Also, SOME of the RC updates were not really updates, just test updates to make sure the update process was working properly. Probably some of them were real, though. I have heard no statements regarding when any RC updates will stop.

Now I gotta confess to you that I am sitting here posting this opinion on an RC version while a RTM Windows 7 Ultimate version is sitting here already burned to disk ready for installation and installation key downloaded. I seem to be letting laziness enter timing for myself.

RAK: Thanks for the heads up, but I guess my administrator was on the ball, as I have already downloaded the RTM. If anyone doesn't see it on their MSDNAA page, I guess they need to badger their administrator.

I honestly can't find a valid reason not to move to the RTM.. ;) Sure the RC doesn't expire until 2010 but the RC is NOT a finished product, period... ;)

Back