Windows 7 Sierra Wireless Compass 597 Driver error.

Ad Rock

I can not get the Sierra 597 working on Windows 7 as the driver for the modem fails to load during the USB file installation phase. I tried using the 3G watcher download method from the Sierra 881 thread and it also fails to see the 597 modem as being installed on the computer.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Any fixes or work-arounds out there?

Same here

I'm having the same issue. SmartView opens but no device found. IN Device Manager, it comes up as Data Interface under Other Devices with an Exclamation Point.

Windows 7 & Sprint Sierra Wireless Compass 597

I've tried several things to try and resolve this same exact issue. I am still unable to resolve it either. I attempted to bypass the Smart View software like I did in XP. I configured the connection manually but Windows 7 simply does not recognize this device. When the driver installer program runs there is a message which I'm sure you've all seen by now where it says "Driver installer does not recognize your OS"
I think it's up to Sierra and or their service carriers to get these drivers to be recognized or created to work with WIN7. Looks like right now dial up and regular broad band is the only way at this point to get this thing on line.
On the positive note, this OS was a breeze to install and configure. It seems to start and shut down on a dime! I love it so far.

Installing Sprint card 597 on Windows 7

Heres the trick to installing Sprint card 597 by sierra unto Windows 7.

Install smart view by inserting your card, you will get smartview and not the drivers installed but thats okay.
Now go to device manager and install the drivers manually, modem port, network adapter and the serial ports.
Right click and update driver software. now click on search manually and point to c:\program files\sprint\sprint smart view\sierra package\drivers-----then hit okay and it should install every driver flawless. You might get an error on the network port where it would say it wont start but it wont matter. click on your smart view and walla your connected!!
let me know if any problems are encountered!
Thanks [email protected]

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks a lot - it worked like a charm - I have been going crazy for 2 days (and nights) with this one. This morning I called Sierra and told them that it was their install program that craps out and not the drivers. They argued and told me that a new driver would come out next week. Thanks for proving me right;););)
Jacques

@ txjohnnypops, Doesn't work for me :(

Tried everything so I wonder what happens when I only have 3 days to activate Win 7 and can't connect ?

Heres the trick to installing Sprint card 597 by sierra unto Windows 7.

Install smart view by inserting your card, you will get smartview and not the drivers installed but thats okay.
Now go to device manager and install the drivers manually, modem port, network adapter and the serial ports.
Right click and update driver software. now click on search manually and point to c:\program files\sprint\sprint smart view\sierra package\drivers-----then hit okay and it should install every driver flawless. You might get an error on the network port where it would say it wont start but it wont matter. click on your smart view and walla your connected!!
let me know if any problems are encountered!
Thanks [email protected]

Beautiful Johnny, you made my entire week! No more dual-booting between XP and 7 now on my HP Mini 1000! Thank you very much for posting the solution here.

Give us more details and let us know how far you get and where the problem is

Assuming you meant me :)

I have a Telus Mobility Sierra Compass 597 and I've tried the latest software update from Sierra & the driver package, but can only install the Watcher software, some of the drivers don't want to install so consequently the device isn't recognised.

I can add the 597 in the modem section of Device Mangler, but there is an unknown device section and makes no difference when I try to add the same drivers that Vista 64 is using , cannot install drivers error.

Same goes for the USB section.

In Vista there are numerous entries for the 597 in Device Manager, namely :

Modem = Sierra Wireless Compass 597 EVDO Modem ( which I can get to duplicate in Win 7 )

Network adapters: Sierra Wireless Compass 597 EVDO Network Adapter ( which I can't get to install in Win 7 )

Ports: Sierra Wireless Compass 597 CNS Port (COM5)
Sierra Wireless Compass 597 DM Port (COM4)
Sierra Wireless Compass 597 NMEA Port (COM6)
None of which I can get to install in Win 7

USB : Sierra Wireless Compass 597 Device
USB Composite Device
USB Mass Storage Device

None of which I can get to work in Win 7

I may try manually copying the drivers from Vista to a flash drive but may wait until Sierra releases a fix, if they do !

Give us more details and let us know how far you get and where the problem is

Hmm, I gave a long reply but when I posted it, it said it had to be approved by the moderator first :confused:

Darned if I'm going to retype it all, maybe it'll show up later...

I thought I'd post this reply I received from Sierra Support today :

"Hello Paul,We do not officially support Windows 7, so you may get it working with Vista drivers in Vista compatibility mode, but we can't support any issues.We may post beta software later, but we can't guarantee it.regards,SWI support"

I don't see how that would help, I may as well boot into Vista, besides, how would you install drivers in compatibility mode anyway ?

Last edited:
Issue resolved with help from tom & johnny

Install Sprint Smartview Software package normally. After installation is completed open Device manager and one at a time select the "Update driver" option from the menu. Each time you will have to point it at:
C:\program files\sprint\sprint smart view\sierra package\drivers
**Note the network adapter should be the last item to be updated***
This worked for Sierra Wireless Compass 597 wireless card from Sprint!

Thanks again guys!!!

sprint sierra card

installing the network adapter last from Device Manager is the trick
Link Removed - Invalid URL

If the manual driver install doesn't work....

For those that couldn't install the modem by manually installing the drivers

Found the Answer from Sierra Website
Install the Smartview software.

Very Important***Remove the modem from the machine.

1. Go to http://www.sierrawireless.com/resources/support/Drivers/SwiMux0.48/SWUSBMUX.msi to download the driver installer
2. Click Save , the Save As dialog box opens
3. In the Save In field, select Desktop. Leave the file name as is and click Save
4. When the Download Complete window appears, click Close
5. On the desktop, double-click the file SWUSBMUX
6. Follow on-screen prompts to install the drivers, insert Sierra Wireless modem once it's done

Last edited:
For those that couldn't install the modem by manually installing the drivers

Found the Answer from Sierra Website
Install the Smartview software.

Finally !

That worked :cool:

Thanks so much for that fanjan :cool:

After a month of no Internet with Win7 Beta, , I can finally try Win7 properly !

I don't know how you got that info as I've been bugging Sierra constantly :rolleyes:

Thanks again,

A sigh of relief. It finally worked. I uninstalled the SprintView software to start fresh. Your instructions were excellent and the link you included took me right where I needed to download the driver software. Many Thanks!

Working - Sort of :|

First let me say thanks for all the options - I was banging my head on the desk for a day or so before I found all these comments to the thread... most if not all very helpful.

My Sprint Card is operational using Smart View but there's a catch. Anytime I plug my card in Win7 attempts to reinstall the drivers even after they have already been installed. This reinstall is extremely time consuming, sometimes lasting up to 15 minutes before the device can be used again. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy it works at all but if I were ever in a position to need online access quick I would be SOL :p

See Snip Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36076323@N08/3330189897/

I've used virtually every method described herein from manual driver installation, to the patch provided by Sierra all with the same results. Anyone have any clues? Ideas?

Incidentally, for those of you who are trying to install Smart View on Win7 I've found it best to disable your other network connections (if any) to prevent the OS from attempting to find drivers on Win update.

Thanks,
Sean

Last edited:
Install using troubleshooting compatibility and selecting Vista or XP. Then after install, upgrade software and it will install all drivers for card.

Back
Top Bottom