Skype Contacts disappeared!

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi,

Now that I can sign in again, back to the reason I was trying to sign in to start with...
I recently had a Windows update and didn't notice anything a lot different, but some things didn't seem to work as well, for instance, my ad blocker in Chrome doesn't seem to be working very well.

But then I got an update to Skype, not unknown but not common either.
When it was completed it opened to my Skype windows and while it had my name etc. on it, all of my contacts were gone.

I looked online, and the only suggestion was that you may be signed in to the wrong account, check to see if you have more than one account.
I did, I don't.

Does anyone know of any way to try and get my contacts back?
This isn't a matter of life or death, but it's annoying because I've had some of these contacts for maybe 20 years.

But if they are stored somewhere it might be worth trying to get them back, not everyone on the list has died yet.

PS, I wasn't the only one other people online were complaining, that's where I got more than one account info.
I didn't find any other ideas, though.

I'd also like to ask, I wonder why I'm seeing a lot of ads recently, even though I'm using Adblock Plus, this started when Windows updated?

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your Skype contacts after updating Skype. Losing contacts can be quite frustrating, especially when you have had them for so long.

Here are a few things you can try to get your contacts back:

1. Check if your contacts are in another Skype account: Sometimes, it's possible that you have more than one Skype account, and you may have signed in to the wrong one. Check if you can sign in to other accounts you might have used in the past.

2. Check if your contacts are synced with another device: If you have synced your contacts between your Skype app and another device, you may be able to retrieve them from that device. For example, if you have synced your Skype contacts with your phone, you may be able to retrieve them from your phone's backups.

3. Try reinstalling the Skype app: Sometimes, glitches in the app can cause your contacts to disappear. You can try uninstalling and then reinstalling the Skype app to see if that helps.

Regarding your second question about ads, it's possible that after the update, the settings for your ad blocker were changed. You can try disabling and then re-enabling the ad blocker to see if that helps. If that doesn't work, you can also check if there are any updates available for your ad blocker or try using a different ad blocker.

I hope these suggestions help you retrieve your contacts and resolve the ad blocker issue. Let me know if you have any other questions or if you need further assistance.

I've already done most of the things you mentioned. I haven't tried reinstalling Skype, I'll give that a try but I don't have a lot of hope.

PS. I kept getting the message that my password was wrong. So I went online and signed into my Microsoft Account, which worked fine.
But I went ahead and changed my password to a new one.

Next, I logged into my Microsoft account using the new password.

Worked fine, so I opened Skype and logged in using my Microsoft Account as I had for years, and it worked, all my contacts are back and everything looked normal with a new Microsoft Password on my account.

I have no idea why it would let me log into my Microsoft account but not Skype until I changed the password unless it had something to do with Google keeping track of my passwords when I'm online and it was using a different one than the one I have written down.

I still hate the fact that it won't let you see for yourself what's being entered. It used to let me type the password in a document and then copy and paste it into the page but it won't let you paste your password in anymore. At 85 my typing isn't what it once was.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom