Windows 7 slow download speeds in all buils of Windows 7

joe12344

I have an HP notebook dv4-1365dx. It has 4 gigs of ram,2.0 intel core duo proc. It has Vista Ultimate 32 bit installed on it. My ISP is Optimumonline. My connection speeds are 30 mbps down,5mbps up. I take the OOL speedtest,Speakeasy,and Speedtest.net. I consistantly get 30-32 down and over 5 up on all of these tests. I have had Windows 7 build 7100,build 7229,build 7264 installed on this machine and my download speeds have dropped drastically. I get between 3.5 and 7,but my upload speeds remain over 5. I have all the latest drivers installed and everything else about Windows 7 works great. I just ordered the upgrade to be delivered on OCT. 22nd. Has anyone else experienced a drastic drop in download speeds in 7? I went back to Vista and my speeds are again fine.Can anyone please tell me why Windows 7 is so slow on my machine? Thanks

Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums..

You said you have all the latest drivers installed.. well what driver did you use for your ethernet? Was it the most recent Windows Vista driver or a Win 7 specific driver? I ask because this definitely sounds like a driver issue.. I've got Win 7 running on 4 different machines and haven't had any problems with download speeds.. Mind you on 2 of these machines it took me a while to find the appropriate drivers but once installed things worked just as they should.. I find the download speeds to be greater in Win 7 then in Vista or XP..

I'd suggest trying a different Ethernet driver.. Which was probably included in your Chipset driver (this usually includes things like Ethernet, IDE, SATA, various Controller drivers, etc) so you may have to search for a newer Chipset driver in order to find what you need..

If you can't find anything newer then what you already have installed then you may just have to wait until the manufacturer releases a Windows 7 specific set of drivers for your pc.. It's frustrating but that's one of the risks you take when running BETA/RC OS's..