Windows 7 Slow file explorer fast open file dialog

RodBarnes

Extraordinary Member
Windows 7 SP1, all updates through 10/2017. [This system is an HTPC running Windows Media Center, thus the reason I've not moved it forward.]

Recently (within the last few months), I've noticed that using File Explorer is extremely slow. Dramatically slower than it used to be. However, File Open dialogs continue to operate at what appears to be normal speed.

For example, with File Explorer open to "Computer" and showing the drives:
Click on "Local Disk C" - returns in 11.40 seconds.
Click on "Windows" folder - returns in 14.65 seconds.

Doing the exact same test from the Notepad File > Open dialog, it takes less than a second for each of the above changes.

I've very little idea of why the two accesses would be so different as I thought the Open File dialogs were actually using File Explorer.

Defrag - yes. This is not an SSD. Neither of those would explain why File Explorer is slow but File Open dialogs are not.

I just found that killing the Logitech Options manger (LogOptionsMgr.exe) tree fixed the issue. Of course, I then lost my keyboard access and had to restart the process. But File Explorer continues to run fine.

Very strange...

I would run a drive fitness test such as Seagate SeaTools. This could be hard drive surface read problems and you may need to replace the hard drive.

Such a problem would not explain why File Explorer is slow while File Open dialogs remain fast (normal speed). Both operations would access the disk in a comparable manner.

I had found the issue and commented just before your comment.

The file open dialog is part of the explorer process it doesn't read files. Explorer does.

Exactly. That was my point. They both use essentially the same components to access the drive. Yet one was normal speed and one was dramatically slower.

Bottom line, killing and restarting the mentioned process resolved the issue.

Case closed.

No not exactly. Explorer is what reads and lists files/folders. Once it has it's stored in memory and what's in memory is what the file dialog shows.

Back
Top Bottom