Windows 7 Slow ssd access for windwos 7x64 vs windows 10 x64

cursedone

I have a multi boot system with all the OS's on the same SSD. My problem is that even if both w7 and w10 load quickly at the proper SSD speeds/times. My w7 stops loading at SSD speeds for most software once booted and this is without any security software active , cache's and pre-loaders tested on and off. All is in order with AHCI active.
w7 is working half the speed in file copying, games and software like photoshop than w10. However it loads web browsers and email at full SSD speeds. Games like dragon age 3 load three times quicker on w10 but don't play as well as on w7. Games like Skyrim or software adobe photoshop for my photography work have almost no speed difference over my older wd black HDD in w7. Both w7 and w10 are fresh installs with updated drivers and apart from w10 downloading a system buss driver update there is no hardware difference for either OS. Same goes for Linux dists such as Ubuntu that suddenly stop working at SSD speeds once booted up.

BTW this is a new Crucial 275gb mx300 ssd and it does not matter if you use the momentum cache or over provisioning options, the results are the same and btw momentum cache does not work on w7 x64.

In a way it's as if the OS's apart from w10 suddenly see the SSD as HDD once it's booted.

Any ideas?

I came up with a partial solution by resizing the directx software decode buffer. It still stalls at random when decompressing certain files and there is no indication where the problem is. Watching the system resources the stall doesn't change anything in memory or the CPU function rate much like the moment before a BSOD. Graphics software that doesn't use DX works at SSD speeds. Non DX or not there is an odd cpu load bug where one session with the same software will be at 40% and work perfectly but start over it can go to 92% and everything suffers. I did notice that waiting about 1 minute for any software that was loaded that some program shuts down and it drops back to 40%, the point is that nothing is shown running in memory or cpu load other than the software. SIP can go up to 98% while i am waiting for that 1 minute or so. What can be running at about 1% that can lag a system so much is a mystery.

I just recently installed Windows 7 on my Toshiba THNSNJ128G8NY 128GB PCI-E Gen.3 SSD which is my primary drive for the OS. it runs just fine. have you installed the drivers for your SSD?

But you might be better served if you can find the website for your SSD. simply, some might not work well or whatever. have you done a S.M.A.R.T. check on the drive? I'm not saying otherwise in any direction but it might be your SSD. Hard to say. I do hope you get it figured out.

-Rag.

I just recently installed Windows 7 on my Toshiba THNSNJ128G8NY 128GB PCI-E Gen.3 SSD which is my primary drive for the OS. it runs just fine. have you installed the drivers for your SSD?

But you might be better served if you can find the website for your SSD. simply, some might not work well or whatever. have you done a S.M.A.R.T. check on the drive? I'm not saying otherwise in any direction but it might be your SSD. Hard to say. I do hope you get it figured out.

-Rag.

Yes i had already been through all those possibilities. The Crucial MX300 drive i have does have a reputation for quirky behavior, however it does not explain why windows 10 has access to it all the time and windows 7 intermittently. The older MX200 series does not have this problem as it runs at speed via hardware from the time or power up. It's obviously a driver or permissions issue but even transferring the windows 10 buss update to windows 7 x64 didn't really do anything, but it was worth the attempt for diagnostics sake. Toshiba, WD, Sandisk all have hardware intit and the point that even for windows 10 the mx300 SSD doesn't go into SSD speed until half way through the windows boot up. Windows 10 keeps the SSD speed however windows 7 reverts back to HDD speed on the SSD drive. I also ran through several DMA tests on the MX300 and it didn't improve.

For example windows 7 & 10 file transfer Windows 7 =60MB/s Windows 10=180MB/s on the same system. You can see windows 7 try to go faster but it just drops back down by 20-40MB/s at every speed up attempt and then try to recover and oddly enough Windows 7 transfers at USB2 20MB/s speeds and no reason for it.

Lastly i doesn't matter if it's on an 8 core 16GB ram system or an older two or three core system with 4 to 8GB of ram.

I think Crucial was bought by OCZ was apparently bought by Toshiba. Some of the Toshiba internal SSD drives are actually OCZ's. I think its a basic issue with Windows 7. @cursedone Do you know if this could be manipulated by a user for improvement?

@cursedone curses! now you peaked my curiosity into researching this :D . I'll spend the week researching this to see if there's a way to kick up those speeds.

I'll report on a thread or here how to do it if possible. might be some sort of setting or file or something

I think Crucial was bought by OCZ was apparently bought by Toshiba. Some of the Toshiba internal SSD drives are actually OCZ's. I think its a basic issue with Windows 7. @cursedone Do you know if this could be manipulated by a user for improvement?

@cursedone curses! now you peaked my curiosity into researching this :D . I'll spend the week researching this to see if there's a way to kick up those speeds.

I'll report on a thread or here how to do it if possible. might be some sort of setting or file or something

OCZ was bought by Toshiba. Sandisk was bought be WD (western digital). Crucial is it's own company. Generally Crucial has good customer service but i don't know why they went with software activation for the MX300 series, as mentioned before i tested the mx200 and it stays at SSD speeds including windows 7. This also includes Sandisk Z&X 100 SSD's as well as WD Blue series SSD's.

I am working the windows 7 registry to see if i can get the mx300 to stay SSD active. Already tried the AHCI active modes 0,..., 3 but the drive was always properly identified so that wasn't it.

Of note and depending on the distribution Linux will have the same problem as windows 7 with the MX300. It's almost as if the MX300 is waiting for permission to clear its cache or send data to the buss, however that's a theory.

BTW Crucial is a division of Micron the chip maker.

Last edited:
@cursedone - Could it be one of those issues where the software ham-strings the drive. You might be better served to simply buy a different one.

I'm not downing you @cursedone, its just something maybe about the drive. that's what it sounds like.

@cursedone - Could it be one of those issues where the software ham-strings the drive. You might be better served to simply buy a different one.

I'm not downing you @cursedone, its just something maybe about the drive. that's what it sounds like.

It's the same with several of these mx300 drives and it's no problem to switch to another models/brand as i mentioned about the mx200 series. There is obviously a software glitch as any OS that is equivalent to windows 10 works fine.

Thank you for the asssitance.

One more note if it means anything. I did install windows XP on the mx300 series drives and it works faster than HDD. Obviously XP has limits though.

Safe Journey.

Back
Top Bottom