Windows 8 [Solved] Problems with YouTube in IE 11

hawkeye62

Extraordinary Member
I know this is a Windows forum, but the IE forum at MS is not producing any results.

I am using IE 11 on a Windows 8.1 laptop. If I do a search and a YouTube shows up as one of the search results, it plays with no problems. But, I frequent a forum that has a feature that allows users to post with a YouTube in the post. If I open such a post, the YouTube widow is just a blank grey box. However, if I use Google Chrome, the YouTube in the post plays with no problems.

Can anyone offer a solution? I have tried disabling the pop up blocker in IE 11, with no change in the behavior.

Thanks, Jim

Hello @hawkeye62,

Welcome to the website. IE11 is certainly not a discussion that is off limits. Would you be comfortable mentioning the website in question? Perhaps, one of us can try it in IE for you. It is possible that your browser does not support whatever embedding option is being used for the YouTube video. For example, there is a video on the front page of this site, at the time of this post. Is that, at least, able to play for you?

Appears fine in IE11. Have you tried clearing the entire browser?
  1. Manually open the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box
  2. Close all Internet Explorer and Explorer windows that are currently open.
  3. Start Internet Explorer. ...
  4. On the Tools menu, tap or click Internet options. ...
  5. In the Internet Options window, tap or click the Advanced tab.
  6. Tap or click Reset.
  7. How to reset Internet Explorer settings - Microsoft Support
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/923737
    Microsoft Corporation

I did the reset, but I still can't play that embedded YouTube.

Jim

Since I did the reset, I no longer have "Tools" available. So, no menu bar, Favorites bar, etc. Modern UI is OK.

Jim

The only thing I can think of is maybe anti virus or firewall. I tried the link you provided and it worked for me.
Did you try putting that site into compatibility mode?.

The only thing I can think of is maybe anti virus or firewall. I tried the link you provided and it worked for me.
Did you try putting that site into compatibility mode?.

Just tried compatibility mode, no change. I use Windows Defender for Anti-virus. Nothing unusual. No exotic firewall, just what ever Windows 8.1 uses for default.

I have a second PC that has the same issue. Another Windows 8.1, IE 11. Again, nothing exotic, just Windows 8.1 defaults.

Main PC is a HP Spectre x360, second PC is a MS Surface Pro 3.

Jim

Just tried your link on my ASUS T100 with 8.1 and it worked.

Just an off the wall thought have you tried rebooting your router/modem?

Just tried your link on my ASUS T100 with 8.1 and it worked.

Just an off the wall thought have you tried rebooting your router/modem?

I just did a reboot of my router. No change. This is very frustrating. Google Chrome plays the YouTube with no problems. YouTube videos play just fine with a direct link to a video. Just the embedded YouTube won't play.

Jim

I suspect that you can play html-video but no flash-video...
Try updating Adobe Flashplayer (untick unwanted extra's) and if that doesnt help remove Adobe Flashplayer and reinstall it (use same link).

Do you use any "Tracking Protection Lists" in IE ?

OTT

Just another thought if you have a 64bit windows, you could try using the opposite version. Windows that is 64bit has both the 32 bit & 64 bit installed.

If I try to install Flash, I get a message that says Flash is included in windows 8 and does not need to be installed. If I try to update 64 bit version it says already updated with latest. If I try to update 32 bit version, it says not compatible with OS. I don't have any Tracking Protection List.

Thanks for the help.

Regards, Jim

Video's on YouTube : html5 (unless it's just uploaded) + flash = OK
Video on top of the forum home page (it's gone now) : html5 = OK
Video in the link you provided : flash = NOK

The problem is flash it seems...

Just to be sure: Flashplayer is enabled and ActiveX Filtering is disabled ?
See Adobe Help

After that's done try to update by using the links on the bottom of that page and test again.

*Edit in red !

OTT

Last edited:
I just now discovered what Tracking Protection is. I disabled entries in the list until I found the one that was blocking the video. It was Google Tracking. All items in the list are enabled except Google and I can now see the video.

Thanks for the help.

Regards, Jim

Those Tracking Protection Lists are great until they break something...
Glad you found the problem !

OTT

Back