Install exactly in this order:
Download all sony drivers for Vista
Instal Vaio event service
Reboot
Install Sony DLL Utils
Reboot
Install Sony shared Library
Reboot and it should work

Where can I download sony drivers for vista?
can u please give me the link??
thank you

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums :)
Please provide the specific model of your Sony notebook, I'll be more than happy to assist you.

Hi Every body
I have a bad problem
my laptop is Sony Vaio SZ-75MN .... and i install the window 7 32bit ultimate
but i lost my FN key and don't work.
Please linked the necessary files for me.
help plz.
thank you
best regards

Hello, Vaio colleagues!
I am the owner of a Vaio VGN-NR220E and I'm quite confused on how drivers to use and on the order to begin installing over Windows 7 x86. My goal is to get the Fn key fully working...
According to the model's website (Sony eSupport - VGN-NR220E - Software Updates & Drivers) there are the following applications available:

Over "Notebook control and Utilities" tab:

Setting Utility Series 11/18/2009
VAIO® Launcher Software 10/08/2009
VAIO® Control Center Software 10/06/2009

And over "System Components" tab:

Sony® Firmware Extension Parser Device Driver Update 06/22/2010
Sony® Firmware Extension Parser Device Driver 10/07/2009
Sony® Shared Library 10/05/2009

Which of these do I need to install and in which order?

Thanks in advance,

Thiago.

I got it working now :)
Install exactly in this order:
Download all sony drivers for Vista
Reboot
Install Sony DLL Utils
Reboot

Hey guys, having trouble with my FN keys, nothing works. I cant find any of the stuff for the list above. Can you help out? I've got a: Vaio VGN-NR498D (this is Canadian), running Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit. Can anyone help me out?

Update:

1) Download drivers from
Link Removed - Invalid URL

choose locked drivers

2)Install all drivers, specially :video (nvidia), audio, network, wireless
and the driver
Original - Sony® Firmware Extension Parser Device (that's it the special keyboard driver).

the restart

3) then install sony shared library
restart
4) and vaio event service
and restart
5) and sony notebook utilities (it include panel, battery checker, event service...)
and (guess that) restart again.

if fail then repeat 3) and 4)

btw, i did with windows server 2008 r2 64bits

In my case, it fail the bluetooth and somethings about incorrect battery (but i disable such functionality).

ps :Sony says that YOU MUST INSTALL sony shared libraries before sony notebook utilities, so apparently the order of 3) and 4) is irrelevant but 3) must be before 5)

Last edited:
[langtitle=vi]Re: Sony Vaio "FN" Keys[/langtitle]

[lang=vi]mình sử dụng máy sony vaio VGN-FW480j
không cài được chương trình để sử sụng phím Fn và AVMODE từ hqua đến h. Ai biết hướng dẫn mình với. (có link tải càng tốt)[/lang]

Thank you SO MUCH for this, it worked like a charm! This was pretty much the only thing that I hadn't gotten to work on 7 after moving from XP... thanks again, this tip should be more well known.

I have been trying this several times but it does not work. may i ask which version of these 3 have you installed? Mine is vgn-s91ps Japanese model so i could not find any support. Many thanks for your help in advance

Registered just to say thanks and that this is what worked for my Vaio (VGN-NR38S):

Uninstall these 3: Vaio event service, Sony shared library and setting utility series.

Install above 3 as administrator and in Vista compatibility mode in this order:

1. Sony shared library
Reboot
2. Setting utility series
Reboot
3. Vaio event service
Reboot

PLEASE NOTE: 'Sony DLL utils' I think is the same as 'setting utility series'. I tried a different order based on other advice and not in Vista compatibility mode and it did not work for me.

Hope this helps someone. I was tearing my hair out! Thanks :teeth:

[langtitle=pl]Re: Sony Vaio "FN" Keys[/langtitle]

[lang=pl][Lang = pl] :( [lang = pl] witam mam podobny problem moj sony vaio
n-bdb po reinstalacji visty fe41s Na win 7 Nie dzialaja mi fn i osd co zrobic by chodzilo i skad pobrac ekranie Nie mam pojecia [/ lang] [ / lang][/lang]

guys please help! i try doing this: Download all sony drivers for Vista
Reboot
Install Sony DLL Utils
Reboot

but still I cant access the hot keys and AV mode :'( why? please! help me. by the way, I cant find Sony DLl utils for my sony vaio vgn-fj1z w :'( can you guys help me :'(

Last edited by a moderator:

I finally got tired of trying to load the drivers the various ways suggested in different forums and blogs and gave up. I purchased HotkeyControl 7 from inchwest.com. It allowed me to program the function keys to handle all this. I am not associated with that company at all, but I am very happy with the way it functions. The price is a little high, but with all the time spent on it, it seems worth it.

Re: Sony Vaio "FN" Keys - brightness control for SZ71 after Vista to Windows 7 upgrade

Brightness control for Vaio SZ71 after upgrade from Vista to Windows 7

In case anyone still has problems with controlling brightness in Speed mode on Vaio SZ61, SZ71 (or other models with dual graphics cards) despite updating the Sony drivers in the right order, don't forget to update/install the Nvidia driver as well. You can find it on the Sony support download website for your model.

In Speed (Performance) mood, these models automatically use the built-in Nvidia driver. But if you don't download the driver for this card, the brightness control will not work. Once downloaded, the brightness control works on my SZ71 E via the Windows Mobility Center and by clicking on the battery icon at the bottom. However, I have not managed to get the F5/F6 buttons to work properly.

In Stamina mode, these models use the integrated Intel graphics card. After my Windows 7 upgrade, I downloaded the drivers along the lines described below. And the F buttons all work in this mode, also for brightness.

The very poor Sony docs and manuals don't mention how this dual graphics card set-up work so it took me a while to solve this problem. Before installing the nvidia driver, the device manager only shows the Intel graphics card even in Speed mood so it was by luck I found the nvidia driver and started to look around.

Finally, THANKS to everyone taking time to share their experiences on this and other fora. I don't understand how we users continue to accept having to fix problems which the companies we pay to supply hard and software should solve for us.

Hey fellow VAIO (and Win 7) users!
I decided to join this site to hopefully save alot of people some pain.
I had the same issue with upgrading to Windows 7 on my VAIO and the volume and brightness not working, and used the fix above with limited success.... I got the volume keys working but not the screen brightness. However I found an easy fix (for the brightness at least)!
I've just came across this guys site (Adjusting screen brightness with shortcuts « Patrick Bader's Blog) and he has made his own programme that allows you to adjust the screen brightness! Only difference is instead of using the 'Fn' key + 'F5' or 'F6' to change the brightness up and down you use the 'Win' key + 'F5' or 'F6'. Easy :)

*Some notes, Norton 360 picked it and said it was unsafe because it had no information on it and deleted it straight away :/ If you disable Norton then run it, then enable Norton again it works fine.
The programme also said it needs to use Microsoft .Net4 Framework which I didn't have but can be downloaded here (Download: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Web Installer) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details)
If you move it to your 'Startup' folder (C:\Users\*Your Name*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup) then it should run each time you start up your VAIO.

Hope this helps :)

i have VGN-CS3AGH and i have installed windows 7 professional....icannot find event service download and shared library..plz help me from where i can download these

Update:

1) Download drivers from
Sony | Download VAIO Drivers

choose locked drivers

2)Install all drivers, specially :video (nvidia), audio, network, wireless
and the driver
Original - Sony® Firmware Extension Parser Device (that's it the special keyboard driver).

the restart

3) then install sony shared library
restart
4) and vaio event service
and restart
5) and sony notebook utilities (it include panel, battery checker, event service...)
and (guess that) restart again.

if fail then repeat 3) and 4)

btw, i did with windows server 2008 r2 64bits

In my case, it fail the bluetooth and somethings about incorrect battery (but i disable such functionality).

ps :Sony says that YOU MUST INSTALL sony shared libraries before sony notebook utilities, so apparently the order of 3) and 4) is irrelevant but 3) must be before 5)

Hello!

I have a sony vaio sve-1511d1ew, formatted it a few days ago and installed windows 7 x64.
I installed the necessary drivers, but the Fn key still doesn´t work.
I tried a lot of things, but nothing seems to work.
Does anyone can help me, please?

Back