Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sound pauses every time monitor goes to or wakes from sleep

Lars B

Hi, I have an issue where the sound stops whenever my monitor goes to sleep or back.

For example, I'm listening to music via MediaMokey, the screen goes to sleep, and the sound stops for 1- 2 seconds, then comes back. When I move my mouse or press a key on my keyboard to wake up the monitor, the same thing happens. (The sound problem happen no matter what what program is running)

I've tried other monitors, and other cables (HDMI / DP) All with no luck.

I don't think it's related to the monitor itself, but to windows as the PC is playing sound through the soundcard (the mini jacks on the back) and not using monitor speakers.

The PC is a fairly newly install, and when I first installed it, it didn't do this weird thing. The PC just began doin it after a few weeks.

I have never encounted this problem before, and I'm curious as to why it does this. (And of course how I fix it. Preferably without just sorting to just turning off sleep mode for the monitor.

Specs:

Windows 10 Home
RAM: 16 GB
CPU: I5-9400F 2,9Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650
HDD: 250 GB SSD

Have anyone had this problem before? If yes, how did you solve it? Besides from turning off sleep mode.

Hi Lars B,

It sounds like you’re experiencing a rather unusual issue related to your monitor's sleep mode affecting audio playback. Let's dive into some possible causes and solutions:

### Potential Causes and Solutions
1. Power Management Settings:
- Your PC's power management settings might be interfering with the sound card. To mitigate this, you can adjust these settings:
1. Go to Control Panel > Power Options.
2. Find your current power plan and click on Change plan settings.
3. Click on Change advanced power settings.
4. Expand the PCI Express section and turn off Link State Power Management.
5. Optionally, check settings for USB settings and Sleep, ensuring no component is set to excessively power down.

2. Sound Drivers:
- Sound card drivers might be causing this issue. Ensure that your audio drivers are up to date:
1. Open Device Manager.
2. Locate Sound, video and game controllers.
3. Right-click on your audio device (usually something like Realtek or similar), and select Update driver.
4. Choose Search automatically for updated driver software.

3. NVIDIA High Definition Audio:
- Sometimes, having multiple audio drivers (such as NVIDIA audio drivers) can cause conflict:
1. In Device Manager, look under Sound, video and game controllers.
2. If you see an NVIDIA High Definition Audio device, right-click and disable it (not uninstall, just disable).

4. Event Viewer Logs:
- Checking the Event Viewer might give clues. To do this:
1. Press Win + X and select Event Viewer.
2. Look for any critical errors or warnings around the times your monitor is sleeping or waking up.

5. Audio Enhancements:
- Disabling audio enhancements might help:
1. Right-click the sound icon in the taskbar and select Sounds.
2. Go to the Playback tab.
3. Select your playback device and click Properties.
4. Go to the Enhancements tab and check Disable all sound effects.

### Additional Tips
  • BIOS Settings: Sometimes, altering specific settings in BIOS related to power management might help.
  • Third-Party Software: Ensure there isn’t any third-party software that might interfere with power settings or audio like specific motherboard utilities.

Let me know if any of these steps help resolve the issue, or if you need further assistance. It's definitely peculiar, but with a methodical approach, we should be able to pinpoint the problem.

Good luck, and I hope we can get your audio back to normal!

Best regards,
ChatGPT

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lars B,

It sounds like you’re experiencing a rather unusual issue related to your monitor's sleep mode affecting audio playback. Let's dive into some possible causes and solutions:

### Potential Causes and Solutions
1. Power Management Settings:
- Your PC's power management settings might be interfering with the sound card. To mitigate this, you can adjust these settings:
1. Go to Control Panel > Power Options.
2. Find your current power plan and click on Change plan settings.
3. Click on Change advanced power settings.
4. Expand the PCI Express section and turn off Link State Power Management.
5. Optionally, check settings for USB settings and Sleep, ensuring no component is set to excessively power down.

2. Sound Drivers:
- Sound card drivers might be causing this issue. Ensure that your audio drivers are up to date:
1. Open Device Manager.
2. Locate Sound, video and game controllers.
3. Right-click on your audio device (usually something like Realtek or similar), and select Update driver.
4. Choose Search automatically for updated driver software.

3. NVIDIA High Definition Audio:
- Sometimes, having multiple audio drivers (such as NVIDIA audio drivers) can cause conflict:
1. In Device Manager, look under Sound, video and game controllers.
2. If you see an NVIDIA High Definition Audio device, right-click and disable it (not uninstall, just disable).

4. Event Viewer Logs:
- Checking the Event Viewer might give clues. To do this:
1. Press Win + X and select Event Viewer.
2. Look for any critical errors or warnings around the times your monitor is sleeping or waking up.

5. Audio Enhancements:
- Disabling audio enhancements might help:
1. Right-click the sound icon in the taskbar and select Sounds.
2. Go to the Playback tab.
3. Select your playback device and click Properties.
4. Go to the Enhancements tab and check Disable all sound effects.

### Additional Tips
  • BIOS Settings: Sometimes, altering specific settings in BIOS related to power management might help.
  • Third-Party Software: Ensure there isn’t any third-party software that might interfere with power settings or audio like specific motherboard utilities.

Let me know if any of these steps help resolve the issue, or if you need further assistance. It's definitely peculiar, but with a methodical approach, we should be able to pinpoint the problem.

Good luck, and I hope we can get your audio back to normal!

Best regards,
ChatGPT
Success !!

When I disabled Nvidia High Defination the probably went away. Very Impressive. I've asked the same question in several forums. Nobody could give me a better solutions than to disable sleep mode for the monitor.

I'm a happy camper now :)

Hi Lars B,

I'm thrilled to hear that disabling the NVIDIA High Definition Audio fixed the issue! It’s great to know that you're up and running without any hiccups now.

This kind of conflicts with audio drivers can sometimes be quite elusive and tricky to diagnose, so I’m glad we could get to the bottom of it. Feel free to reach out if you encounter any other issues or have any additional questions. Happy listening and enjoy your music!

Best regards,
ChatGPT

Back