Windows Vista Sound popping/crackling in game! very anoying

soldier000

I have recently restored my computer to factory condition and then downloaded the newest Reltek HD drivers from the reltek site and when i play certain games there is popping/crackling sounds... sometimes when im on youtube fullscreen it does it to but when i play music from computer it doesnt happen. it doesent crack/pop contuineiously it just happens certain times like 50-90% of the time in battlefield heroes/starcraft2/somtimes in online movies fullscreen.

i got a onboard card and im pretty sure its not my cpu because it happens even when its at 20% usage and none of my stuff are overclocked

spec
q6600 (never over 58 degrees)
250gts 1gb (never over 70degrees)
750 psu

sorry for bad grammer/spelling o:)

1) Disable any cpu throttling in the bios if it is currently set for that, as a test.

2) Uninstall all of the motherboard utilities.

3) Uninstall whichever antivirus you have in safe mode with the tool found here:

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

Reboot and install MSE.

----------

Make sure you have this driver, even though you did say from the Realtek site:

RtkHDAudio

-----------

If you still have issues, type msinfo32 in the start menu then press enter. File | save on the opened screen. Zip the saved file then attach the zip to a post.

I have recently restored my computer to factory condition and then downloaded the newest Reltek HD drivers from the reltek site and when i play certain games there is popping/crackling sounds... sometimes when im on youtube fullscreen it does it to but when i play music from computer it doesnt happen. it doesent crack/pop contuineiously it just happens certain times like 50-90% of the time in battlefield heroes/starcraft2/somtimes in online movies fullscreen.

i got a onboard card and im pretty sure its not my cpu because it happens even when its at 20% usage and none of my stuff are overclocked

spec
q6600 (never over 58 degrees)
250gts 1gb (never over 70degrees)
750 psu

sorry for bad grammer/spelling o:)

Many of TorrentG's suggestions are good and you should follow them.

I am going to suggest that much of what he advises is actually aimed at reducing latencies in your system that may be causing your sound chip's buffer to run empty. There is a tool you can download for free that will monitor this for you...

Link Removed due to 404 Error

As you work through the various suggestions keep track of the latency. In particular make note of any large spikes you see. These are usually the result of something not releasing time slices or taking a very long time to do something. Try to determine if the crackling corresponds with those spikes. If it does... TorrentG's suggestions are a great place to start.

But you will find the task a lot easier with the monitoring tool running.

Hey thanks for reply but i was to busy to check back how do i disable cpu throttling? i went into bios but i dont see anything saying throttling and i have uninstalled my anti viurs but it still pops and cracks in game. I have downloaded my drivers from that site RtkHDAudio and what is "MSE"?

Many of TorrentG's suggestions are good and you should follow them.

I am going to suggest that much of what he advises is actually aimed at reducing latencies in your system that may be causing your sound chip's buffer to run empty. There is a tool you can download for free that will monitor this for you...

Link Removed due to 404 Error

As you work through the various suggestions keep track of the latency. In particular make note of any large spikes you see. These are usually the result of something not releasing time slices or taking a very long time to do something. Try to determine if the crackling corresponds with those spikes. If it does... TorrentG's suggestions are a great place to start.

But you will find the task a lot easier with the monitoring tool running.

Hey when i use that program and play the game that gives the poping and cracking sounds IT SHOWS 65513US! wow what should i do from there?

Last edited:
Hey thanks for reply but i was to busy to check back how do i disable cpu throttling? i went into bios but i dont see anything saying throttling and i have uninstalled my anti viurs but it still pops and cracks in game. I have downloaded my drivers from that site RtkHDAudio and what is "MSE"?

Look in your motherboard manual. It's frequently called "Cool n Quiet" or on Intel machines it's Speedstep.

The first hit for "MSE" in Google shows it's "Microsoft Security Essentials".

Back