Windows 7 SOUND PROBLEM (line-in input)

ModestMouse

Hi,
I have an annoying problem with my win7 (on dell studio 1555 laptop) - I can't hear sound from exterior sound source plugged into line-in input (when I plug some mp3 player, guitar or any sampler). Strange thing is that when I go to control panel - sounds -> recording, then I can hear it only for few seconds, and the sound turns off immadietly.
Input is OK, because I can record everything, but I can not hear my sound from line-in. Can anyone help me to solve this problem? I work a lot with sound, and its really important to me (I have this laptop for one week, and windows 7 is completely new for me).

cheers,
mike

Thanks for your answer.
I tried to do that - it is choosen as a default sound source and the volume is at a top value.
It's real mess - I have WIN7 control panel and sound card settings in IDT HD Sound panel, I dont see any option to enable line-in sound.
Can you tell me where it exactly is?

Thank you,

Control Panel -> Sound -> Recording -> Line in -> Properties -> Volumes,

if the payer is plugged in, the Volume option will be accessible.

Control Panel -> Sound -> Recording ->Line in -> Properties -> Volumes,

if the payer is plugged in, the Volume option will be accessible.

everything is done like this, but i still cannot hear playback of line-in instrument (it stops after few seconds, but it is still recorded). I suppose that it is system setting to avoid sound feedback (because of laptop's microphones)?

Hi ModestMouse,

I just recently got the same problem as you. The audio from the line-in just stops after a few seconds. I was wondering if you got to solve this problem yet.