Windows 8 [Speakers Advanced Properties] sample rate and bit depth ?

Orphydian

Extraordinary Member
I have a Genius150 watt 5.1 speaker system Genius
I dont have the realtek driver installed since the sound quality was not satisfying with it so I stayed to the default high definition audio device with stereo configuration.
I have an integrated sound card. This is my motherboard model GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-P61-S3 (rev. 2.0)

I want to know what sample rate and bit depth to choose for best quality playback at advanced speaker properties? The default ones are 16 bit , 44100 cd quality like you can see in the below image
I dont understand what is that shared mode either.

If I install again the realtek driver what should I choose then ?

29010d1381407671-speakers-advanced-properties-sample-rate-bit-depth-10-10-2013-14-36-21.png

You're not the first person I've heard of doing that, opting to stay with the default generic windows sound drivers instead of mobo recommended sound driver. That being said, I would just play around with the settings to see what sounds best to you.

If you were to go back to the RealTek driver, the one from you mobo page is outdated. Go to RealTek's website and download it directly. The latest version is 2.71,

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/

I have Realtek HD Audio. This is what I see at Advanced.....
Shared Mode :
Shared mode is used by most audio playback programs, which means that all those programs can connect to and playback to the same device simultaneously. Windows takes care of mixing all these audio streams into one single audio stream that is sent to the playback device. It does this in the selected audio format, thus sound quality.

Reatek.png

Last edited:
I think I got what is this shared mode about. Thanks!
In the same time I see the exclusive mode bellow with those 2 items clicked. If this is the exact oposite to shared mode which of these apply?

Adding ...............
excerpt:
Secrets of Windows 7 audio

The new versions of Windows are becoming more user friendly and hide from the user many settings. At the same time, these settings have a significant influence on the sound recording. Consider the most important nuances.

Sound Card Sharing
Windows 7 support two modes of sound card: Exclusive and Shared. Exclusive mode guarantee smaller latency(good), but only one program may use sound card at a time(bad).

Some audio players will attempt to enable exclusive mode that will block the record. To avoid this you need to open Sound Card Properties and turn off "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"

SOURCE

you have mentioned the record thing. This is when you record and play music at the same time ?

You're not the first person I've heard of doing that, opting to stay with the default generic windows sound drivers instead of mobo recommended sound driver. That being said, I would just play around with the settings to see what sounds best to you.

If you were to go back to the RealTek driver, the one from you mobo page is outdated. Go to RealTek's website and download it directly. The latest version is 2.71,

I know, Ive always choose the latest from their page but never worked well. Plus the sound quality is not satysfying. Ive recently changed my motherboard , Ive tested a newer audio system of the same model but no avail. In fact I think my audio qualioty is different everyday.

you have mentioned the record thing. This is when you record and play music at the same time ?

What you had read are excerpts from some articles. I did not write them.
If you meant this......
Some audio players will attempt to enable exclusive mode that will block the record.
My understanding is .... yes.

Now, I have not encountered an audio player that does block recording. But, then, I seldom do audio recording and when I do, I use either Windows Media Player, or online audio recording. So, my experience on this subject is limited.

The only other viable option would be to purchase a high end sound card and then hook your system directly into the sound card....but you might have to disable the on-board sound via the BIOS.

I need only the high definition audio driver from here right? and that would be the 2nd in line from that table if I have 64 bits win? sorry after a while you tend to be paranoic when nothing solved your problem so I need to ask

I need only the high definition audio driver from here right? and that would be the 2nd in line from that table if I have 64 bits win? sorry after a while you tend to be paranoic when nothing solved your problem so I need to ask

It depends on the USB header connection plug, which one is actually plugged into the mobo from the case....AC97 or HD Audio? Do you know which one you've got plugged in? Yes...to the bit type...64 for 64 and 32 for 32.

Lol Im not at all into computer hardware. I dont know what is that and I dont know which ne it is? How can i found that?

You'll need to check your mobo manually and then physically check the connection inside the case. Most, if not all cases come with both plugs, when building a custom system, as for retail PC's I'm not sure.

If you could list your system hardware, all of it, if a custom build or make or model if a retail PC (store bought).

its a custom build. I cant list other things than mobo, graphic card and CPU. The case is from my older pc, dont know the model.
so these are 2 plugs which come up from the front panel? Hmmm, my audio sytem is conected to the back panel, why is this important?

You'll need to check your mobo manually and then physically check the connection inside the case. Most, if not all cases come with both plugs, when building a custom system, as for retail PC's I'm not sure.

If you could list your system hardware, all of it, if a custom build or make or model if a retail PC (store bought).

Ive checked inside the case, the AC 97 one is pluged in Front Panel audio header. I couldnt find the other one if it suppose to be there. So I need to download the AC 97 audio codecs from realtek instead of high definition audio drivers right? the problem is I dont see any version for windows 8 and update time is back to 2009. The one provided at my motherboard page is AC97 or high definition? it would be newer than this I suppose - 2012.

I have to ask again what has to do this Front panel audio header with my audio quality that plays on my 5.1 audio system which is plugged in the back panel ? I have that Genius 5.1 audio system I linked in my OP. It has 3 jacks : one green (FRONT), yellow (CENTER/SUB) and black (REAR). I plug in all these 3 into the green line out hole from the back panel. I use that adaptor thing (dont know how to call it ) to converge all these into this single hole. Im doing something wrong?

Ive search further in my mobo manual about my audio and about this front panel audio header.Hre is what I found :

At product specification at audio it says:

"-Realtek/VIA HD audio codec
-High definition Audio
-2/4/5.1/7.1/- channel (and here is a specification: to configure 7.1- chanel audio, you have to use an HD front panel audio module and enable the multi-channel audio feature through the audio driver)
- support for S/PDIF Out"

At internal conectors at F_AUDIO (Front panel Audio Header):

"The front panel audio header supports Intel High Definition audio (HD) and AC 97 audio. You may connect your chassis front panle audio module to this header. Make sure the wire asignements (.....)
* The front panel audio header supports HD audio by default
*Audio signals will be present on both of the front and back panel audio conections simultaneously
*some chassis provide a front panel audio module that has separated connectors on each wire instead of a single plug (...)"

I have that Genius 5.1 audio system I linked in my OP. It has 3 jacks : one green (FRONT), yellow (CENTER/SUB) and black (REAR). I plug in all these 3 into the green line out hole from the back panel. I use that adaptor thing (dont know how to call it ) to converg all these into this single hole.

if it is happening to many then why not to get done with the issue this is why i am looking closely to the discussion in run here

Back
Top Bottom