LeeWB3

I like Vista's and now Win7's search bar within the start menu, but still like to keep my start menu at least a bit organized.

I am able to move stuff around like I want for the individual users start menu but am receiving "file or folder" open error messages whenever I create a new folder and attempt to rename it or attempt to move an existing folder to a new location within the all users users folders (i.e. C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu).

Anybody else? Any solution?

It seems like you're facing issues with organizing the Start Menu in Windows 7, particularly when trying to create or move folders within the "All Users" profile. The error messages you're encountering when trying to rename or move folders can be frustrating. Here are some steps and solutions to address this problem:

### Steps to Organize the Start Menu in Windows 7:

1. Check Permissions:
- Right-click on the "Start Menu" folder (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu) and select "Properties."
- Go to the "Security" tab and ensure that the account you are using has the necessary permissions to create, rename, and move folders.

2. Run as Administrator:
- Try performing the folder operations (creating, renaming, moving) while running File Explorer as an administrator. This can sometimes resolve permission-related issues.

3. Disable UAC (User Account Control):
- UAC can sometimes interfere with certain file operations. Temporarily disable UAC to see if it resolves the issue. You can adjust UAC settings in the Control Panel.

4. Safe Mode:
- Boot the computer into Safe Mode and try organizing the Start Menu folders from there. Safe Mode loads only essential services and drivers, which can help identify if any third-party software is causing the problem.

5. Use Command Prompt:
- You can also try using the Command Prompt with administrative privileges to create, rename, and move folders in the Start Menu.

### Possible Solutions for Folder Organization Issues:

• Permissions Issue: If the problem persists, double-check the permissions on the "Start Menu" folder. Ensure that your user account has full control over the folder.
  • Corrupted User Profile: Consider creating a new user account to see if the issue is specific to your current user profile.
  • System File Checker (SFC): Run the SFC tool to scan and repair corrupted system files that may be affecting folder operations.
  • Third-Party Software: Check if any third-party software is conflicting with Windows Explorer. Temporarily disable startup programs and services to isolate the cause.

By following these steps and solutions, you should be able to organize the Start Menu effectively in Windows 7 without encountering file or folder open error messages. If the issue persists, feel free to provide more details for further assistance.

Back