Windows 7 Sticky Notes error

osutuba

When I boot up my PC, I get a window for Sticky Notes that reads as follows:

"Meta Data for some of the notes has been corrupt. Sticky Notes has restored them to defaults.

I click OK and Windows starts checking for a solution then tries to recover the data. It then tries to restart and the same error appears. I click OK again and after a moment, I get a message that Sticky Notes has stopped working.

All this also happens if I search for and start Sticky Notes from the Start Menu.

I an running a clean install of Windows 7 Professional on an Acer Aspire 5315 running on 2GB RAM

I know it's not exactly helpful, but I seem to be having the same issue now, and I just upgraded to Windows 7 yesterday.

Did you re-locate all of your user information to a seperate drive than C:\? That's the only changes I've made, and just curious if that is what is messing it up...

Running on a home-built system. Intell Core 2 Quadra 2.4ghz, Windows 7 Pro, 8GB RAM

I have the same issue!!!
I wanted to move user info from C-drive and now the sticky notes won't work...
Other programs didn't work, too, but I could fix/repair them. But with the sticky notes it's not possible.
Whenever I click on the icon it writes:
not able to launch sticky notes. issue with accessing the file.
WHAT CAN I DO????? PLEASE HELP!!!
I really want the application back!
Thanks in advance!

I am not sure exactly what to tell you folks, so I will just mention this. Maybe one of you could try it to see if it works.

It appears the data for the sticky notes is corrupted. The notes appear to be kept in a file called StickyNotes.snt in Users\You\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Sticky Notes. AppData is a hidden file so allow those in folder options, or copy and paste the path with appropriate changes.

You might try renaming the file, or moving or deleting it. I would at least copy it somewhere else first so I could replace it if necessary.

A new file will be created which will hopefully fix the corrupted data. I would guess all your previous notes will be deleted by doing this.

Please note, I have tried this myself and the file was recreated after I moved it out of the folder.

I am not sure exactly what to tell you folks, so I will just mention this. Maybe one of you could try it to see if it works.

It appears the data for the sticky notes is corrupted. The notes appear to be kept in a file called StickyNotes.snt in Users\You\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Sticky Notes. AppData is a hidden file so allow those in folder options, or copy and paste the path with appropriate changes.

You might try renaming the file, or moving or deleting it. I would at least copy it somewhere else first so I could replace it if necessary.

A new file will be created which will hopefully fix the corrupted data. I would guess all your previous notes will be deleted by doing this.

Please note, I have tried this myself and the file was recreated after I moved it out of the folder.

I do not have that folder... either in my C:\ drive, nor my E:\ drive... perhaps there-in lies the problem? I tried creating the folder, but it did not generate the .snt file. I went into note-pad, and tried to generate an .snt file myself and deposit it to see if that would work, but no such luck.

When you said you did not have the folder, I checked my laptop, which has never run Sticky Notes. The StickyNotes folder was not on it either. But after starting the application, it was added along with the referenced file.

You might try running it as Administrator to see if it makes a difference.

I do not know for sure what installs Sticky Notes, but my best guess would be with the Tablet PC utilities that are part of the Windows components and can be uninstalled and reinstalled. I know the Snipping Tool and on screen keyboard are part of this group, but not sure about the sticky notes.

Have you opened and administrative command window and typed the following to check your system files?

sfc /scannow

When you said you did not have the folder, I checked my laptop, which has never run Sticky Notes. The StickyNotes folder was not on it either. But after starting the application, it was added along with the referenced file.

You might try running it as Administrator to see if it makes a difference.

I do not know for sure what installs Sticky Notes, but my best guess would be with the Tablet PC utilities that are part of the Windows components and can be uninstalled and reinstalled. I know the Snipping Tool and on screen keyboard are part of this group, but not sure about the sticky notes.

Have you opened and administrative command window and typed the following to check your system files?

sfc /scannow

I only run my comp in administrative. The fact that the program doesn't work doesn't bother me too much, but the annoying little error message every time I boot up my computer does.

In Win 7, right clicking a program and selecting "Run As Admin" is not the same as running a an administrator user.

If you get the error automatically on boot, there must be something trying to start it. Possibly use msconfig.exe to stop that from happening, or look in the Startup folder on the Start Menu. Since I do not see an option to start it automatically, I assume it is not a setting you have control over directly.

I have seen something like Word rebuild a file that might have been corrupted. Could there be any other utility that uses Sticky Notes or something similar that might be involved?

Back