Windows 7 strange problem: some start menu items gone + administrative tools location error

torahtrance

I recently installed on a brand new drive, a fresh installation of win7 x64 RTM.

I notice after a few weeks, suddenly the accessories and many other start menu items has vanished! Looked up some solutions but nothing seems to match my issue. When I goto control panel, and click administrative tools, it gives me an error saying not found. Well that is because it has been erased from its default location which apparently points to the start menu location...

Anyone seen this before? What is the solution? I want my default start menu items back!! :confused:

Assuming you activated, (a common result from noy doing this), perhaps you may have applied a patch for the default expiry date?

dont think so

I dont recall installing any patches. I do have a little boy almost a year who loves to press all the keys on the keyboard but I doubt that was an issue. I read that ccleaner could cause some issues, I ran this program that installed ccleaner but an older version, I thought perhaps it accidently deleted it something, but its a very weak theory...

I had something very similar happen once when I used Registry Mechanic. I lost a few of my System tools and some of my Administrative tool links. Crap Cleaner broke my dual boot. I had to create my own shortcuts and reinstall my second OS. Since then I've sworn off registry and system cleaners. I've heard that some garbage in the registry hurts nothing at all and Disk Cleanup takes care of cleaning. I use no third party maintenance tools at all.

true

So I guess most likely something fiddled with the shortcuts!! Argh... IS there a way to 'restore' the shortcuts?? ---That reminds me, after a bad driver installation I did a few system restores. It could be windows 7 didnt properly restore the system and cut all of the shortcuts out including all the default ones...

I think I really just need to get the default shortcuts, hmm I wonder if there is a way to just get those :)

You could install Windows 7 Virtual PC, then install a virtual copy of Windows 7 in it (don't enter your license key as you just need it for a short time). You could copy the default start menu items from there.

I would also suggest that in the future, you change your account from an administrator to just a user. I too have had issues with banging toddler hands on the keyboard, and not giving those fists of fury administrative access helps negate some of the damage they seem to be able to do.

You could install Windows 7 Virtual PC, then install a virtual copy of Windows 7 in it (don't enter your license key as you just need it for a short time). You could copy the default start menu items from there.

I would also suggest that in the future, you change your account from an administrator to just a user. I too have had issues with banging toddler hands on the keyboard, and not giving those fists of fury administrative access helps negate some of the damage they seem to be able to do.

good idea :) I will try that

Back
Top Bottom