Streaked Photos

DrButz4U

I had uploaded a ton of photos from a vacation from my Iphone into various folders on my laptop. I wanted to make a copy of the folders so I could edit/delete some of the pictures to make a slideshow without disturbing the originals. When I copied a group of originals into a new folder, many of them came out with vertical streaks on them. Not all pictures and the pattern of streaks varied. I tried copying them one at a time. I tried creating a shortcut instead of making a copy. I tried uploading them to Movie Maker and Wondershare Filmora thinking if I bypassed File Manager I would get the picture clear. Nothing worked. The originals are still OK thankfully.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening and what I can do? It is a simple thing to try to do to copy a photo from one folder to another. Why can't I get it to work? This is what it looks like.....
IMG_4993.JPG

" The originals are still OK thankfully. "
you mean the originals inside the iphone? or the original copies residing within the first computer folder you created?

first of all, DrButz4U … do not delete the pics residing on your iphone … until you are certain the pics on your computer are good.

the iphone pics … they default to jpg when pic is being taken/shot?
when you said you had uploaded from your iphone to your laptop … how did you perform this action?
  1. connect the cable from iphone to laptop's usb-port
  2. opened file-explorer
  3. scrolled down to "iphone" (left frame)
  4. down-arrow so files appeared in file-explorer (right frame)?
was the above your method? or did you upload them in some other manner? the above method is what i have always used.

DCIM.png

and when you went to disconnect the iphone from the computer … did you go to win-10's control-panel / devices and "remove" iphone device from the computer? from what i understand, this is the safest way to disconnect.

now then, DrButz4U … is your laptop the only computer you tried downloading the pics from? do you have an alternate computer at your disposal in which to download a couple of the streaked pics for testing purposes?

have you tried opening the copy with win-10 "photos" app? and win-10 "paint" app? and your favorite internet-browser?

how old is your computer? did you upgrade to win-10 … or is win-10 oem? it could be the graphics card or some graphic setting conflict. which brand is the laptop? which iphone is it?

so … i'd try different computer … also the above method(s) for copying photos from iphone … see if this resolves the situation, DrButz4U.

another possibility is opening one of the images in win-10 "paint" and re-saving the *.jpg image to a *.png image. another effort would be for you to rotate one of the streaked images within file-explorer. to do this … right-click image and choose 'rotate'.

with the above methods, do the streaks remain?

that's all i can think of right now, sport. you might also wish to pose your question on a venerated iphone forum … as well as a forum that is dedicated to your laptop manufacturer (toshiba.com or dell.com or etc.) .

p.s. thanks for sharing the pic, DrButz4U … helps to understand we are on same wave-length.

First of all, thanks for the quick and very thorough reply. May take me awhile to digest this.....meanwhile, I'll answer some questions you posed. Still don't know why it would only "streak" some of the pics. Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'm ntired of spending so much time on this. I'm not trying to do anything special....just trying to make a copy of a photo within File Manager and it's not working. Very frustrating and not worth anymore time. So much for my nice slideshow!

you mean the originals inside the iphone? or the original copies residing within the first computer folder you created? I mean the originals residing in the folder on the laptop

first of all, DrButz4U … do not delete the pics residing on your iphone … until you are certain the pics on your computer are good. Good to know, but in this case, too late. After I verified they got to the laptop OK, I deleted them from the phone. Figured once on laptop, what would change them?

the iphone pics … they default to jpg when pic is being taken/shot? Don't know what they are on the phone, but once on the laptop, they had been transferred as JPG.
when you said you had uploaded from your iphone to your laptop … how did you perform this action?
  1. connect the cable from iphone to laptop's usb-port
  2. opened file-explorer
  3. scrolled down to "iphone" (left frame)
  4. down-arrow so files appeared in file-explorer (right frame)?
was the above your method? Yes, this is how I did it. I open Apple Iphone, then Internal Storage, then DCIM, then the folder with the photos. or did you upload them in some other manner? the above method is what i have always used.

View attachment 34805

and when you went to disconnect the iphone from the computer … did you go to win-10's control-panel / devices and "remove" iphone device from the computer? from what i understand, this is the safest way to disconnect. No, I just unplugged it. I looked at the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media and it wasn't listed, so I just unplugged it.

now then, DrButz4U … is your laptop the only computer you tried downloading the pics from? do you have an alternate computer at your disposal in which to download a couple of the streaked pics for testing purposes?

have you tried opening the copy with win-10 "photos" app? and win-10 "paint" app? and your favorite internet-browser? Tried both and the streaked photo remained streaked.

how old is your computer? did you upgrade to win-10 … or is win-10 oem? it could be the graphics card or some graphic setting conflict. which brand is the laptop? which iphone is it?

so … i'd try different computer … also the above method(s) for copying photos from iphone … see if this resolves the situation, DrButz4U.

another possibility is opening one of the images in win-10 "paint" and re-saving the *.jpg image to a *.png image. another effort would be for you to rotate one of the streaked images within file-explorer. to do this … right-click image and choose 'rotate'. The png photo still had streaks and rotate didn't change anything.

with the above methods, do the streaks remain?

that's all i can think of right now, sport. you might also wish to pose your question on a venerated iphone forum … as well k

p.s. thanks for sharing the pic, DrButz4U … helps to understand we are on same wave-length.

no worries, doc … how about uploading a pair of files to dropbox or somewhere … i'll be happy to take look at the original(img_0194) from iphone as well as "corrupted"(img_0194) version from your computer.

Back