Trouble downloading photos from iPhone to Win10

BudVitoff

Honorable Member
I hope it's legitimate to duplicate a post I made in windows10forums, but I haven't had any response there.

I don't know if this is an Apple problem or a Microsoft problem.

Before Win10, downloading iPhone photos to my laptop was easy: Connect the iPhone to a USB port, specify a prefix for the filenames, and it flew. "Something" remembered which pics had been downloaded before and didn't download them again.

Now, it doesn't provide the prefix ability, but it does provide a grouping feature - by week, month, or year - which does not appeal to me at all. The big problem is that the download is erratic. It processes an indeterminate number of photos, significantly fewer than what is waiting for download in the iPhone, then quits with an error popup. Starting over repeats with a different group of photos. In addition, it no longer checks for previous downloads.

I'm sure that the controlling logic for this is in the PC, not the iPhone. I would like to back up to a previous version if there is no other fix. I started with Win10 along with a new Dell laptop, but I can't see blaming Dell for this in any way.

Hopefully one of our iPhone owning member can answer this. Only thing I can suggest is to use itunes to back them up.

When I first saw your reply, I appreciated your concern; but the second time I looked at it there was an additional item called "CPU Validator" -- I hope it's showing now. I assume that you did NOT include that in your reply, so how/why did it get in there?

two issues … interacting with iphone media … and syncing items.
first … disable iphone syncing.​
second … copy/move the images as you wish.​
that's all you need to do.

if you need further instruction … continue reading below.

the syncing is done through iphone-prefs i believe … can't remember, been so long. i don't remember using itunes to disable the sync. however, once the sync is disabled … you should be free to continue.

dealing with copying or moving … they are different. exactly which were you trying to do? if you just click on image and drag … think it moves the item.

same as it's always been in the past … plug the iphone-cord into your laptop … then plug other end into your iphone. do not have the iphone 'airplane-locked' … should be on standby. once the connections are made … the iphone should awaken enough to register itself with your laptop … couple silly notifications probably will appear … you shouldn't need to interact with any notification/prompt.

now, open your file-explorer … you should see an iphone-icon appearing in your laptop's "this pc" tree on the left. down-arrow iphone tree and click bottom of iphone tree … you'll see the images on right-frame of file-explorer. simply harness 'n drag those images to your desktop. right-click allows copy/move choices.

if you move the images … and they are synced … that's when issues happen. once the iphone is un-synced, you have more control. if you did use itunes to un-sync … you won't need to use itunes for copy/move procedures … you should close itunes.

so … disable syncing … and try moving the images. if some are stubborn, do not force those. disconnect your iphone from laptop and take a couple more pics with your iphone. then, return to your laptop and connect the iphone to your laptop … and try moving the remaining images.

oh … make sure you disconnect properly … think it's control-panel/devices-printers … highlight apple-iphone and "remove device". then, carefully remove cord in opposite order of attaching cord (first detach iphone … then laptop) … the reason for this is to inhibit corruption issues between devices.

if you have further issues … or my explanation hasn't resolved your issue … i'd suggest joining apple-forum … conduct your query there. and make sure you detail your configs … os … iphone-model … laptop model … etc.

image_1.pngimage_2.pngimage_3.png

p.s. one last tip … there is a limit to how many images can be inside the iphone … don't cross that threshold.
p.p.s. what i would suggest is you 'copy' … once you know images are safely on your laptop, then 'delete' those in your iphone.

Last edited:
This has reminded me, why I'll never touch an iPhone. Android version of this would be plug phone in and copy files.

pnamajck,

Wow! Anybody who puts that much effort into a solution post deserves at least a thank you. So thank you so much!

Although I will keep your post on hand for probable future reference, I think we're in the same church, but the wrong pew. I'm pretty sure I understand all that you've told me, but unless I'm really screwed up, I don't think my problem deals with syncing, especially if that term deals with insuring that what's on the phone matches what's on the PC, or something like that. In addition, it looks like you're talking about more of a manual operation while what I'm concerned about is more of an automatic operation, to wit:

I am not using iTunes. My huge library of photos and movies lies in the PC, and new stuff is first captured by the iPhone. (A bunch more is captured by my Canon camera, but for the sake of this discussion, we can ignore that part.) Before this current problem started, when I wanted to update the PC with the latest items from the iPhone, I created a new folder that included a date-identifier at the beginning of its folder-name; connected the devices, apparently invoking the program involved; identified the folder-name to the procedure; and entered that date-identifier as a prefix for the procedure to tack on to the beginning of each file-name. Then things took off, and as items got downloaded, they were flagged in the iPhone as having been downloaded. This was handy for me, because I don't immediately delete them from the iPhone, for other reasons. Now time passes, and a a week or so later I would do another update, and the flagged items in the phone were ignored by the procedure -- that's the automatic part. As I said in my original post, that's one of the things that are not working properly now.

I am in the process of posting my woes to an Apple forum.

Back