Swapping upload and download speeds

zvit

Honorable Member
There is this thing I was always wondering about. There are many articles that explain why download speeds are slower than upload speeds and I understand that logic. But what confuses me is why can't one swap the upload speed with the download speed when needed? Let me explain...

I have an online storage site that acts as a server that I can upload files to and download them as well. Uploading a 4GB file will take a few hours and downloading the same file will take me about 2 minutes. Like I said above, I understand this. My question is, when I download the file - isn't this theoretically, the same as if they were uploading it to me? And when I upload it to them, isn't this theoretically, like they are downloading from me?

So when I need to upload a file, why can't the action be as if they were downloading it from me and that way, it will be transferred to them (uploaded) in about 2 minutes instead of a few hours!

Would it be as simple as setting my PC to be a server?

The emphasis in optimizing performance from the ISP's point of view must be on downloading to their users as that is the greatest use - as in web surfing. The bandwidth on each of the upload and download connections to and from the server is distributed according to that policy so it is not about seeing "up" or "down" from either end, it is about the bandwidth limitation of the send and receive connections from the ISP point of view. Whether you regard a transfer from you to the service provider as an upload from you or a download to them it is still using the more limited bandwidth connection.

Whether you regard a transfer from you to the service provider as an upload from you or a download to them it is still using the more limited bandwidth connection.

That is my question. Why. If I can download from anywhere at 10MB\sec why can't someone download from me at that same speed?

Because the download speed is also limited by the speed of the upload. They may have 500mb download speed but if you're uploading at only 1mb they can only receive at 1mb.

When I download from someone, is that called they are uploading to me?

No, they are uploading to their service provider and are subject to the limit of the ISP's upload bandwidth and your download is therefore limited to the upload bandwidth of the other's ISP upload rate.

I download at speeds of 10MB\sec. Are you saying that when I download at that speed, the place that I'm downloading from has an upload speed of 10MB\sec?? I didn't even know that a 10MB\sec upload speed exists! (Does it?)

Because I tried to Google the fastest available speed as of 2012 and all I get are statistics and crap and news about Google fiber which is still being tested. I don't see anything about those kinds of upload speeds on the cables and wires that are used today. Maybe you can help me and find somewhere that mentions the fastest speeds there are out there today.

Thanks. Those are download speeds. Try to find upload speeds.

By the way, my speed result:
26053 Kbps - Your speed

Just shy of the 30000 on the top.

Tested again and the result was:
31928 Kbps - Your speed

It's way off and not accurate.

Back
Top Bottom