Sysprep seems to reset susclientid when other articles I read says it doesnt

smydsmith

How is susclientid generated?
If you sysprep it seems to gen a new Id when you check windows update

If you clone a machine without sysprep that has a Susclientid it keeps it when checking windows update. If you delete susclientid it regens a new one

Does sysprep clear the susclientid and is machine aid in any way related

Is machine sid in anyway used except in domain controers and possibly kns registration

Trying to confirm when sysprep is required and what it's really doing

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sysprep removes all computer specific data including it's SID. The susclientid is removed and get's regenerated by the windows update agent. If you're looking to capture an image to deploy to multiple systems you should always sysprep it first.

If you're simply cloning one persons computer to a new drive then you wouldn't sysprep.

Sysprep removes all computer specific data including it's SID. The susclientid is removed and get's regenerated by the windows update agent. If you're looking to capture an image to deploy to multiple systems you should always sysprep it first.

If you're simply cloning one persons computer to a new drive then you wouldn't sysprep.
I have been reading articles that sysprep did not clear susclientid . Did it start doing that in win 10 and 2016 and not previously. Also if you delete suclientid ways will Regen a new one so it does not seem to be based on machine sid.
The only time I have read the machine sid is used is for one and if you coned a server and made it a dc then the machine sid becomes the server sid which would be bad if you did for multiple DCs

I am trying to understand when machine sid is used when it doesn't matter. Lots of articles only mention those two scenarios where machine aid is used are there any others you are aware of?

There is no documentation on the susclientid at least not how it's derived. In order for it to be uniquely generated would mean it's not derived from an entirely static set of data so the SID may or may not be taken into account.

The computer SID is generated from the windows setup process and it's primarily used to ID the system for ACLs and to derive the local group and user SIDs. If a computer is domain joined the SID will change to that of the domain which is based on the first computer promoted to a domain controller. The last grouping of numbers called the RID get's assigned by the domain controller holding the RID master server role.

So if a server is domain joined ( besides the DC)
Are there any issues an unsyspreoed server might have besides possibly kms?

Possibly, you should always sysprep when creating new systems
Ideally yes I am trying to find out the issues if you don't and I've scoured the internet and only found those two

Back
Top Bottom