Windows 10 System File Checker

Hermitkrab

Honorable Member
Hello, again. I was wondering if it's advisable to run SFC /scannow on a regular basis, or only if your PC is experiencing issues, sort of similar to running an AV program regularly. What say you? Thanks...Ed

It wouldn't really hurt anything other than a small performance hit. Let's say your system becomes corrupt and it won't boot, a SFC scan wouldn't be able to run and would require manual intervention anyways, so is it really worth it, probably not.

Funny thing..i just tried to run sfc in the command dialogue box and it tells me I must have admin privileges. I AM an administrator. So, I don't know what's going on! I do remember using sfc in the recent past and it worked. Some strange things going on with my Toshiba. Maybe she's due for a reset?

Even if you're a member of the administrators group your account runs as a normal user, you need to launch command prompt by right clicking and select run as administrator. This runs the process with an elevated admin token

When I right click on start, I see "run", but no "run as administrator". If I recall, It was there at one time, but it's gone now. Maybe a system restore or reset is in order?

OK, disregard this thread I did find the right command, run as administrator. I'm OK now. Thanks for your input. I should have been more careful. I'm recovering from a stroke and I guess it's messed up my mind a little!

Back
Top Bottom