Windows 7 System File Replaced But Still Corrupt

Litha

Hi, everyone. I had Windows Vista and I upgraded using the 'clean install' to Windows 7. I had been experiencing BSODs (blue screen of death) and I thought a re-install, or an upgrade would solve those issues. However, I continue getting those BSODs now with Windows 7 as well.

I can't quite recall the stop errors and names, but they were mostly IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I also had 'memory management' sometimes.

Recently I powered on my computer and realized everything was running slowly, and I've noticed the BSODs have stopped. I ran everything, anti- malware, virus, spyware programs and they found nothing. I ran memory diagnostics and it came up with nothing. There's nothing really on this computer to be slowing it down since I haven't fully replaced all my files and it's a new OS.

The only thing that found anything out of place was after running SFC /scannow, the CBS.log file says this in several places:

2012-07-18 06:41:40, Info CSI 000002a3 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:26{13}]"msdrm.dll.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-Rights-Management-Client-v1-API.Resources, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-US", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing

What I could understand from that is it's saying that a file, called msdrm.dll.mui, is corrupt. Apparently it's in the 'en-US' folder (assuming). It also says on the last line, 'file is missing'.

Now, I've replaced from the actual Windows 7 installation CD, the file msdrm.dll.mui in the en-US folder, and in another folder that had the same file. After restarting, the computer still runs sluggishly.

My question is, why would the system file still be corrupt even after replacing it from the installation CD? The CD is fine, no scratches or anything like that, and it's virtually new.

Also, could my system be missing something that the file msdrm.dll.mui needs to function properly? (I ask this because it says 'file missing') What can I do about this system file to fix it?

Note: I looked up the system file msdrm.dll.mui and I read that it's needed for system performance (and performance right now is my issue so I'm guessing this is what's making my computer run slugglishly).

This is mostly what I followed, except for that ending part with the copy command. Instead of that I simply dragged the good file into the folder, apparently replacing the bad file...is that not good enough?

I am in fact running SP1 but the good file came from my installation CD which I don't believe has SP1 on it since when I installed Windows 7, I was told to update with SP1. What can I do?

If all the permissions and ownerships are correct, it might be alright to do it the way you did. Most of those files are owned by the TrustedInstaller.

You can download a Windows 7 .iso file which includes SP1. But not all files need an SP1 version, and you can usually tell by whether it uses 7600 or 7601 for a number. The file you show seems to be a non-SP1 version.

Link Removed - Not Found

Back