Windows 7 System Restore Error 0x800706BE & 0x80070057

So a few days back I was having issues with my Windows Update and got Windows Support to fix it. After 2 Support people, they were not able to fix the issue but rather cause more. Now my System Restore is broken and isn't functioning no more. When I run any of my back-ups, an error stating " The remote procedure call failed (0x800706BE)" then when I click OK it states a different error "The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057). The 2 Windows "Experts" were messing around in Services and my CMD. I am out of ideas so please suggest any. Thank you.

Hi Brendan,
I merged your two threads to save confusion.

If your still getting update issues try running the troubleshooter:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/971058

Run the system file checker too. Find command prompt (start menu), right click on it and run as administrator. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

Open the run application.Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok. Look across the top of the revealed system properties box for system protection, click that and make sure that System restore is set correctly.

Thank you for your response. I am still running the sfc scan but the System Protection had an error saying "System Restore encountered an error. Please try to run System Restore again. (0x81000203)" Not sure what this means. I've reran System Restore and still nothing worked. I'll write another report on what I find out from the scan.

Edit;
So now I don't fully no where to go from here but I sure know that it isn't good. The completed verification scan said "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS. Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"
This is what the error contained so what would be my next step?

Edit;
Just letting you know as well, my Windows Update is fixed and working properly.

Last edited:
After several hours of searching through websites and suggestions, I found the issue of it all. Now after Windows Support disabled several services, I brought back on Volume Shadow Copy but never enabled Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy. I enabled it and started it and found that my System Restore wasn't getting that error anymore. I chose the backup and let it do its thing. But after it finished, I logged on and System Restore failed to do so after it could not extract things from C:\. I tried several other back ups which still led to the same error. The following error is (0X8000ffff). Please help.

I downloaded the hotfix and set it up on my desktop and started the application. Seconds after I started it an error came up talking about "The update is not applicable to your computer". I don't know the cause of it but could it be something in services? See that every issue has come from it.

Did you run it as administrator? It does say that on the help page. You need to right click and run as admin.

So I tried using those methods and still no difference. I think where I'll go with this issue is by just reinstalling the OS. When i had issues with my USB's, I contacted ASUS and they sent instructions on how to do it. I do appreciate your replys kemical but I feel as if were stuck and that the issue is something we can't get too. Thanks.

sorry English isn't so good. I'm going to recommend you either run recovery media, or re-install OS. I've had similar issues with windows system restroe because mine wasnt enabled often so i tested comodo time machine and rollback and went with rollback. you might want to try those two maybe they're for you.

Back