System Restore Issue

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by cgrim29588, Oct 3, 2010.

1. cgrim29588

cgrim29588 New Member

When I try to use System Restore with no programs running and after the computer restarts and Windows loads I get the following message:

2. cgrim29588

cgrim29588 New Member

I need help with this!

3. hobbit

hobbit New Member

i had that problem before i hit f8 on start up and did restore from there and it restored corectly

4. cgrim29588

cgrim29588 New Member

Okay thanks, but I wonder why it doesn't restore correctly when done from within Windows.

5. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

The error code actually means 'access denied' so it could be some files or folders are not moveable unless in safe-mode. That's why Hobbit was successful as he did his recovery by pressing F8 and entering the advanced boot menu.

6. cgrim29588

cgrim29588 New Member

Okay. but it is stupid System Restore should just skip the files and pressing F8 and entering the advanced boot menu is a pain in the ***.

7. Sonny

Sonny Fantastic Member

What anti-virus program are you running? I use Norton security suite and have to uncheck tamper protection in my settings before restoring. After turning off tamper protection I have no problem restoring.

8. MikeHawthorne

MikeHawthorne Essential Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

I've run into this many times, your best bet is another restore point if you have one.

This message usually means that something has changed since the restore point was made that Windows can't deal with. Driver changes or something that throws up a red flag.

I've never had any luck getting it to work once this message comes up except for one time, I did it by running System Restore from safe mode but that only worked once.

It would be nice if the message was a real representation of what the problem is and gave you some way to resolve it, if it can't load drivers for your video card or something I'd rather that it did the restore and let me fix the problem later.

After all if you are doing a system restore it's because you have a problem.

It's kind of like Windows 7s quirk of telling you that a program is not responding when it's really only processing something that takes a while.

I'd rather that it just told me to wait because it's busy.

Mike

#8 MikeHawthorne, Oct 3, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2010