Windows 7 TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager Event ID: 1057: The relevant status code was Object already

delar

The computer is Windows 7 Professional 64-bit edition version 6.1 Build 7601 service pack 1. The computer is not in a domain environment. I believe this may be a security issue however I completed an in-place windows 7 upgrade to try and fix the problem but after all of the windows updates, etc the error remains and appears every time the computer is rebooted...

I could use some help with the following error:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager
Event ID: 1057
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Description:
The Terminal Server has failed to create a new self signed certificate to be used for Terminal Server authentication on SSL connections. The relevant status code was Object already exists.

Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager"
Guid="{C76BAA63-AE81-421C-B425-340B4B24157F}"
EventSourceName="TermService"

I found {C76BAA63-AE81-421C-B425-340B4B24157F} in my registry in the:

HKey_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> WINEVT -> Channels -> Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager/Admin -> OwningPublisher

HKey_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> WINEVT -> Channels -> Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager/Analytic -> OwningPublisher

HKey_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> WINEVT -> Channels -> Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager/Debug -> OwningPublisher

HKey_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> WINEVT -> Channels -> Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager/Operational -> OwningPublisher

Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager
%SystemRoot%\system32\termsrv.dll

When I open as administrator a command prompt window and enter the follow: regsvr32 termsrv.dll

I get the following message:

RegSvr32

The module termsrv.dll was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.

Make sure that termsrv.dll is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again.

Not sure if this is a problem or if this behavior is expected...

I ran sfc /scannow and check disk on the hard drive with both reporting no errors.

I updated the security profile for:

[Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Security]

In the right pane, double click "Require use of specific security layer for remote (RDP) connections", in the security layer list, select RDP.

I modified the policy and there was no change in computer behavior. The error still appears each time the computer is reboot.

===

I found a semi-related webpage that at least lists the same Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager and 1057. However I'm running Windows 7 64-bit edition and I seriously doubt I have a lack of available memory issue.

Event ID 1057 — Terminal Services Authentication and Encryption
Event ID 1057

Physical Memory (MB)
Total 24567
Cached 6337
Avaiable 21821
Free 15709

The relevant status code says that the "Object already exists" which I think is far more relevant then some memory issue. Do I have to delete some file or registry entry? Or is it a security issue?

I rebooted the computer with a clean windows boot:

msconfig

In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click Selective Startup on the General tab.
  • Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
    Note The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.
  • Click the Services tab.
  • Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
  • Click Disable All, and then click OK.
  • When you are prompted, click Restart.

Still have the error on computer reboots.

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Not sure if I am understanding the problem correctly.
Are you saying that you receive this message whenever you boot your computer, every time and you are not purposely intending to run or otherwise starting the Microsoft Terminal Server Client (mstsc.exe)?
Or does this happen only when you intentionally attempt to run the Terminal Server Client software?
If it is running everytime at startup then perhaps a program like Autoruns.exe from here Autoruns for Windows can help you find it.
Download the zip file to a folder of your choosing and extract it there. You will see four files simply double click autoruns.exe (not autorunsc.exe that's the command prompt version).
The "Everything" tab, can seem a little daunting at first but a little patience and some time might reveal where the culprit actually is coming from. Usually simply unchecking the entry will prevent it from running on next reboot.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Randy

Back