Windows 7 The magic 5%

john3347

Extraordinary Member
Premium Supporter
When I read articles like this, I tend to completely discount the credibility of the author. This writer(?) speaks of the dismal failure of Vista because it is only being used on 30% of Windows computers currently in use, yet he speaks of the "domination" of Office 2007 which accounts for a whopping 35% of all office applications in use. When I went to school, 5% variation did not make the difference between "domination" and failure.

'Real-World' Stats: Only 30% of PCs Running Vista / Infopackets.com

I'm surprised it's as high as 30% considering the reputation it's had from day 1 and that's only going to dwindle from now on I hope :razz:

The Office 2007 stat is a bit strange since you mentioned it. I'm guessing that Office Xp/2003 etc accounts for the remainder that OpenOffice doesn't hold.

I'm surprised it's as high as 30% considering the reputation it's had from day 1 and that's only going to dwindle from now on I hope :razz:

The Office 2007 stat is a bit strange since you mentioned it. I'm guessing that Office Xp/2003 etc accounts for the remainder that OpenOffice doesn't hold.

I also, am somewhat surprised by the 30% stated for Vista. I think Office 2007 is kinda in the same category as Vista, some love it, some loathe it. I personally know of at least two small offices that installed Office 2007, then scrapped it in favor of the older, familiar Office 2003. I certainly would expect Office 2003 to fill the vast majority of the remaining Office adoption percentage. But that is only my undocumented guess.

I really have very little confidence in the numbers here, anyway. I cannot feel confident in the writings of someone who considers 30% adoption rate a dismal failure of something, but, at the same time, and in the same article, considers 35% adoption rate as "dominating". Office 2007 and Open Office combined account for less than 50% of all installed office applications. Something else must certainly be more "dominating" than either of these; even more so than both of these together. There are, of course many office type applications that hold a fraction of a percent adoption rate each.

Back
Top Bottom