Windows 7 The Penumbra Series.

Grub

Hey all,

Penumbra. Bloody Penumbra.

For all of you who haven't played this series, you have too. I'm not usually one to force games upon people but YOU HAVE TO PLAY THIS SERIES!!

This first person psychological thriller is one of the best games I have ever played (my best games I have ever played list is massive) it truly is. I'm not going to go into depth about the story because it’s just so easy to give away something, even a style of level that will ruin it.

But I will say that it is a smart, well written, scary as hell game with mind bending puzzles and a twist of really good humour that only increases the anxiety levels. At first I found it almost frustrating as I don’t really dig puzzle games. I then realised that the puzzles are more like obstacles and once I got into the way of thinking that this game encourages it was so enjoyable to be stuck in a room whilst fearing for your life. But nowhere near as enjoyable as finally solving the puzzle and opening that door to safety, only to find out that safety is, well, not anywhere to be found.

My brother in law found it in a bargain bin at our game shop and grabbed it as a birthday present. When I opened it I thought, hmm 2006, graphics look crap and I had a feeling that it was kind of like Myst or the X-files in that it would be a level of still shots that you “click” further into, or down a certain path, screen by screen. Oh how wrong I was. And for all those graphics snobs out there (you know who you are ;)) cranked right up on my rig it looks really nice. It’s simple, clean, with really nice particle effects in some areas. And the game physics are just brilliant. Even down to how objects react to water. Really cool. :worship:

Anyway, as Frictional are a small Swedish crew, this game would go unnoticed by a lot of people. We would never have known about it if my bro in law hadn’t just taken a risk and grabbed this old game off the shelf.
Do yourself a favour; grab this game if you see it. It’s in a complete series pack now. Penumbra: Overture, Penumbra Part 2: Black Plague, and Penumbra Part 2 expansion: Requiem. Although it’s in parts, it’s a continuous story, and a very clever one at that. It has taken me only a month and a bit to get to halfway in Part 2’s expansion. So go on. NOW!

Regards,
Grub

Oh and the “second” one is out now. It’s called Amnesia: The Dark Descent. But I recommend playing the first series, even 5 years on, its rocks!

Last edited:
Yea my brother in law was equally fanatical about this game series, which at first release wasn't too behind the average graphics for that sort of game. Personally, I lost interest in those sort of games many years ago, with the more graphical rpg games.

Here's a clip of the latest outing for folk that haven't heard of it

Last edited by a moderator:
I lost interest in those sort of games many years ago, with the more graphical rpg games.

As did I. To be honest I only fired it up as it was a present. And he was standing next to me asking if I'd played it yet.

We are both now hooked, I'm even reluctant to fire it up some nights on account of me not wanting to change my underpants every 20 minutes.

for anyone interested Amazon have the three pack for £5

51-11lUigyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Complete Penumbra Collection (PC DVD): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

Back