There's a Weight on Windows 8

I read that same article somewhere else. One advantage that Windows users has over Apple is cost. So if Windows 8 is successful, MS has a chance to get a slice of the pie.

Another, is that Windows has over 90% of the computing base. Windows users are as loyal as Apple's are, and I don't see that changing. Personally, it's my belief that Ballmer's future is riding on this, more than MS is. It's becoming do-or-die time for him, especially if users don't adapt quickly.

Cat

I am happy with Windows for the most part and I am normally a early adopter, but I have to say that my iPhone 3GS still impresses me and it makes me wonder if I should buy a Mac

I still have a old laptop that I bring out for kids, with Me on it and I have a XP machine, Mom is running my XP64 machine still have two Vista 64 rigs and three Win 7 machines. Apple would be a significant departure for me as I build my own desktops, and I can't see doing that for a Apple OS.

You have to understand that the majority of Apple products are all in one units. So this will make upgrading limited. Then look at the hardware, AMD as well and Intel are now working on 8 and 10 core processors. In the case of AMD the 8 core is on the market now and at a really descent price. If you look at Apple, they are just starting to hit the i5 quad core support for their desktops. Looking at that and the fact that the price for an iMac i5 is the same price, for the lowest end model higher models are two and even three times the price, as my HP i7...two almost two and a half years ago...You have to see that Macs are over priced for what you get. Then on top of that, dropping support for graphics cards that are still supported on even Windows 8, lame. Then to get and run the Developer Preview you have to be enrolled in a Developer Preview Program. So now you have to pay $100 a year to be able to use test software, gay. Just all around the only thing that Apple has for them is so many commercials that talk trash about "PC" and "Windows", it is one of that things that if you hear it enough, you start thinking it is true. Any way if you want so friendly advice, I would stick with PCs. You get more bang for you buck and less headaches in the long run.

Last edited:
Well I am building a new Computer with AMD FX 4170, Gigabyte FX990 UD7, 2 X 8 gig Ballistix, a 256 SSD, big HD, XFX7970 and of course Win 7 Ultimate.

I have to agree with Naiya here, the PC (or Windows) in the long run is the best way to go. As was pointed out, many of the iMac's have only i5 CPU's, 4GB RAM & 320GB HDD's. And that was only a recent upgrade. Before that, they shipped with 2GB RAM, very low specs for a $1,200 PC.

One can buy 2 Windows PC's of the same specs for that price, easily. And then there's the software issue. Some things has to be bought from the Apple Store. It may be that way with Windows some day, but I feel that's far away.

Finally, I also realize that Apple has their loyal following. Anyone who stands in line in the rain, snow, cold, whatever for 12+ hours for a phone that can be ordered w/the option of overnight shipping has to be loyal. These customers could afford that extra cash for delivery, but chose to be with the crowd instead. That's not my cup of tea.

I'm a Windows user 1st, Linux 2nd. Windows will make it through this time of change, they have before & will again. Yes, there's a weight on Windows 8, but probably half of that "weight" is the media. Windows 8 will be fine for many users, yes, there are some changes, but I can live with them or find a workaround when needed.

Cat

Back