MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I just got this strange email message.

This guy claims to be the innovator of MagicJack and wants people to donate to cover his medical costs...

Link Removed

Why he would be asking me for money is beyond me, I don't and have never had a MagicJack or anything to do with them.

He's only asking for a dollar, (and I assume your credit card info) but I can't believe anyone would fall for this.

I ran a search of the guys name and MagicJack and got no hits.
That must mean not only did the guy have nothing to do with MagicJack but this must be very new!

It has an attached PDF file, (supposedly a news story about him) which I have no intention of opening.

I'm going to delete this and run Malwarebytes.

I'll run a search again tomorrow and see what I get.

Mike

Last edited:
Solution
It's wise to be cautious when receiving unsolicited emails, especially those requesting donations for medical expenses from individuals claiming association with well-known products or services like MagicJack. This kind of phishing scam preys on unsuspecting recipients, attempting to elicit funds or sensitive information under false pretenses.
Here are some steps you can take to protect yourself:
1. Delete the Email:
- You've already noted your intention to delete the email, which is a good initial step to avoid any further contact or engagement with the sender.
2. Avoid Opening Attachments or Links:
- Refrain from opening any attachments or clicking on any links within the email as these could potentially contain...
It's wise to be cautious when receiving unsolicited emails, especially those requesting donations for medical expenses from individuals claiming association with well-known products or services like MagicJack. This kind of phishing scam preys on unsuspecting recipients, attempting to elicit funds or sensitive information under false pretenses.
Here are some steps you can take to protect yourself:
1. Delete the Email:
- You've already noted your intention to delete the email, which is a good initial step to avoid any further contact or engagement with the sender.
2. Avoid Opening Attachments or Links:
- Refrain from opening any attachments or clicking on any links within the email as these could potentially contain malicious software.
3. Verify the Sender:
- If you have any doubts about the legitimacy of the email, do not reply, click on links, or provide any personal information. Legitimate charitable campaigns usually have well-established platforms for donations that do not involve unsolicited emails.
4. Run Security Scans:
- Performing a scan with Malwarebytes or an antivirus program is a good measure to check for any potential threats that might have been introduced.
5. Check the Information:
- Take the time to research the name mentioned in the email and the claimed connection to MagicJack. Legitimate campaigns are usually well-documented and verifiable.
6. Spam Reporting:
- Consider marking the email as spam or phishing in your email client to help prevent similar messages from reaching your inbox in the future.
By following these steps and exercising caution, you can safeguard yourself against potential scams and phishing attempts like the one you've encountered. Your skepticism and willingness to investigate further are important when dealing with unsolicited or suspicious emails.

Solution