Windows 7 Tips on using 7

Not so much a tip but some may find this of interest :

After the Windows Vista experience, Microsoft has developed a comprehensive strategy for evolving the Windows 7 performance, introducing a set of criteria that will dictate whether the operating system will get shipped or not. One small part of the Redmond giant's efforts to drive the performance of Windows 7, is working with the community of partners and developers building hardware and software products around the operating system. In this context, Microsoft is offering a set of utilities it is using internally to sniff out performance issues.​

“In addition to working on Windows 7 specific features and services, we are sharing tools, tests and data with our partners. The tools are available to enthusiasts as well. The tools we use internally to detect and correct boot issues are freely available today here as a part of the Windows Performance Toolkit. While not appropriate for most users, the tools are proving to be very helpful for some,” revealed Michael Fortin, Microsoft distinguished engineer and lead of the Fundamentals feature team in the Core Operating System group.​

Xperf.exe, Xperfview.exe, and Xbootmgr.exe are obviously not designed for end users; however, developers will be able to take advantage of the tools, which can be downloaded for Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Link Removed - Invalid URL 2008 even today. In this context, not only Windows 7 will be able to benefit from the items collectively dubbed the Windows Performance Toolkit (WPT), but also Windows 7 Server/ Windows Server 2008 R2.​

“The sheer breadth and depth of software for Windows means that some software will not have the high quality one would hope, while the vast majority is quite good. Microsoft must continue to provide the tools for developers to write high performance software and the tools for end-users to identify the software on their system that might contribute to performance that isn’t meeting expectations. Windows itself must also continue to improve the defensive tactics it uses to isolate and inform the end-user about software that might contribute to poor performance,” Fortin added.​

source: Link Removed - Invalid URL

The Windows Performance Toolkit is available for download here.

source: Link Removed - Invalid URL

Last edited by a moderator:
How big will it be?

Its probably in here somewhere, but how big - in GB - is this upcoming ISO likely to be? The Beta fit on one DVD, so can I assume that this one will too? I haven't been able to find any recordable blu-Ray discs, and yes, my drive can record on them, or at least so it says. Thanks.I've had a heck of a time getting registered at this site, so I hope it works this time.

I disagree, I still find Flip 3D very useful for a quick flick through the windows I have open. I have it programed into my MS Explorer Mouse and still use it often.

I'd much rather see the "3D Cube" effect (that's in Ubuntu) implemented into Windows 7.. ;) That to me is much better than the 3D Flip feature found in Vista and Win 7.. :) But hey, that's just me..

Last edited:
Wow, bunch of great info, thanks. And since you seem extremely knowledgeable 'bout this. Answer me this:
Since 7 Beta was much faster and more stable than Vista, I'd' pretty well given up even booting Vista for anything other than paper printing to an old HP Inkjet; just did all my work in 7. Now that the RC is out and good for a year (give or take) and everything works including the printer what do you think about a complete reform of the hard drive and a clean install? Too big a gamble at this stage? Prior to the release of 7 I was required to maintain overactive sense of humor to keep from going nuts working on Vista, with 7 I can appreciate the 'fighting fish' joke.
Thanks again for the tips. Docking the task bar on the right is especially helpful. I turned off the auto-hide feature and widened it to a couple of hundred pixels or so. The programs butt up to it and I can quickly bounce between programs.

Wow, bunch of great info, thanks. And since you seem extremely knowledgeable 'bout this. Answer me this:
Since 7 Beta was much faster and more stable than Vista, I'd' pretty well given up even booting Vista for anything other than paper printing to an old HP Inkjet; just did all my work in 7. Now that the RC is out and good for a year (give or take) and everything works including the printer what do you think about a complete reform of the hard drive and a clean install? Too big a gamble at this stage? Prior to the release of 7 I was required to maintain overactive sense of humor to keep from going nuts working on Vista, with 7 I can appreciate the 'fighting fish' joke.
Thanks again for the tips. Docking the task bar on the right is especially helpful. I turned off the auto-hide feature and widened it to a couple of hundred pixels or so. The programs butt up to it and I can quickly bounce between programs.

That's a very smart idea actually.. ;) I would recommend that you do a clean install of Windows RC.. It'll work alot better than if you had upgraded.. :) Just remember to do a backup of all your personal files prior to formatting.. ;)

I used Ubuntu, it's stable in it's boring out of the box form. Once you start tweaking it. It becomes very unstable. The cube while it looks cool. Is pretty useless when it comes down to it. The driver support is terrible. Never could get my printer to work properly and forget the scanner. Your forced to use their software and while they have some very good ones. Everything is geared towards windows. There are always programs that you can't use with linux. Like my slingbox, and try and play most poker sites with it. Yeh you can do it through Wine, but it's crap. I tweaked the hell out of it. Thats the fun part but you CAN NOT get it to look as good as windows. It is safe from virus, but I have no problem paying for Norton, and I have never had a virus in all my life. Ubuntu has great community support and it's free. I would use it if I could'nt afford an operating system as good as windows. Windows could learn a lesson from Ubuntu on support though. You would think with all the money they make they could at least offer free support.

This Windows 7 is really cool, but I wish I could keep it in this RC form because once they bloat the hell out of it. I don't think it's going to run this smoothly.

I used Ubuntu, it's stable in it's boring out of the box form. Once you start tweaking it. It becomes very unstable. The cube while it looks cool. Is pretty useless when it comes down to it. The driver support is terrible. Never could get my printer to work properly and forget the scanner. Your forced to use their software and while they have some very good ones. Everything is geared towards windows. There are always programs that you can't use with linux. Like my slingbox, and try and play most poker sites with it. Yeh you can do it through Wine, but it's crap. I tweaked the hell out of it. Thats the fun part but you CAN NOT get it to look as good as windows. It is safe from virus, but I have no problem paying for Norton, and I have never had a virus in all my life. Ubuntu has great community support and it's free. I would use it if I could'nt afford an operating system as good as windows. Windows could learn a lesson from Ubuntu on support though. You would think with all the money they make they could at least offer free support.

This Windows 7 is really cool, but I wish I could keep it in this RC form because once they bloat the hell out of it. I don't think it's going to run this smoothly.
I don't know what your talking about support wise with Microsoft. The one time I asked them for support on Windows Movie Maker, it was some of the best I've ever had. Not only were the tech people friendly and helpful, but when I accidentally Xed out during a chat session, they called my phone and made sure everything was alright, and then got me reconnected to the guy I was working with. And all of this was free.

I agree with you on the linux stuff. It is good for crappy computers that can't handle a lot though.

I don't know what your talking about support wise with Microsoft. The one time I asked them for support on Windows Movie Maker, it was some of the best I've ever had. Not only were the tech people friendly and helpful, but when I accidentally Xed out during a chat session, they called my phone and made sure everything was alright, and then got me reconnected to the guy I was working with. And all of this was free.

I agree with you on the linux stuff. It is good for crappy computers that can't handle a lot though.

I have played with linux for years . Play because I could never take it seriously . Drivers Printers and scanners etc . Little if any surport . If you have a combo printer scanner setup you can more or less forget it .
Wine a poor excuse for windows . Really at the end of the day linux offers very little guess that is why it is free :D

Thats cool. I must have had a bad experience then. I remember they wanted me to pay for the assistance I was looking for, but I can't remember all the details now.

Linux is still crap though. I gave it a serious try, several months (ubuntu and kde). KDE looks pretty good graphically but it's buggy and has all the same issues Ubuntu has.

Removal of C:\Windows.old from the OS

If you have a clear and direct answer, My question is, Can I delete all files and folders in the stored C:\Windows.old files that were automatically retain when I did a clean Install for Windows 7 RC over the Beta 7 Version. I ran my usual complete virus system scan and it detected a virus and listed it had moved it to a vault. I do not want any traces of that OS programing to remain, and I am near 100% sure that the removal will have a dramactic performance increase instead of the demand presently being placed on my CPU. What has made me suspicious of these remaining files is the reported disk space being reported used which should not be at the levels [ 111Gb free of 222 Gb ]. My previous OS under the beta version had only 149Gb free of 222 Gb and I had twice the number of combine software, files and Programs install in that version and my CPU demand was between 5% and 33%, it is now 55% to 100% and I have taken into account of the indexing and search and scvhost processes. I need a "yes or No " answer. Thank you, John Haskins:rolleyes:

The clear and decisive answer is - YES. It will nt have any effect on your exisiting OS, but is wasting space.

Thank you, I am in the process of removing it now. will let you know the results. Thank you...John

Fanstastic!!!!Not only did I gain 30GB's back, but I open Task Manager to see what was still dragging my CPU usage crazy and closed Skype.exe, And 50% to 86% performance monitor reading dropped to 6%. I need to try and see if the old config.exe still exist, so I can control my start up programs. I basically use skype as a business / Office answering phone number while I am away for messaging. davehc, I have gained renewed faith in my gut feelings cause you, among many of my teche comrades had the courage to say " Yes " and stick by the results. Thank you for an honest answer to my question. Now I will contact Skype support and see if they have any work arounds going on in their developement department. Thank you, Again...John

Last edited:
Handy tips for 7 explained in this blog...

Tim Sneath : The Bumper List of Windows 7 Secrets

This solved my specific issue with question #1, thank you!

For google and other search engines to save others time: I run dual screen monitors, but I often leave the 2nd off. Sometimes Windows Media Player and Folders open up on the 2nd screen which is turned off. How do I move the windows from the screen which is turned off?

In windows XP, if I right-click a taskbar item I can select "Move", why is this missing in Windows 7?

How Can I move a folder or application from one screen to another in windows 7?

Answer: Click on the app/window, "Win+Left Arrow and Win+Right Arrow will dock the window to the right/left screen"

Thats cool. I must have had a bad experience then. I remember they wanted me to pay for the assistance I was looking for, but I can't remember all the details now.

Linux is still crap though. I gave it a serious try, several months (ubuntu and kde). KDE looks pretty good graphically but it's buggy and has all the same issues Ubuntu has.

Linux is crap? No my friend, Windows ME is crap.. Linux has a high learning curve for some but it's certainly not crap. I'm curious what bugs you found as well. Linux does have a few bugs but I wouldn't say there are enough to actually deem it "buggy" (At least not the Ubuntu/KDE distros).. If Linux could play every game that Windows can I guarantee Windows wouldn't have near the market share that they currently have.. ;)

Yeah, I never could get Linux to work for me. I can't figure out how to do ANYTHING with it. I'm not saying it sucks, but it's not practical for any purposes I can figure out.

Last edited:
Back