Windows 7 Toshiba Satellite 1135

compnovo

I just installed Windows 7 on an aging but slightly upgraded Toshiba Satellite, and so far everything is working very well, seems to be as responsive as WinXp Pro that the laptop came with, takes less time to shut down. I set up a 30GB partition (dual boot) and installed AVG and OpenOffice 3, downloaded some of the Windows options (mail, etc), and I still have 20GB free. The laptop specs are:
Celeron 2GHz
1GB RAM
100GB HDD (7200 RPM)
DVD/RW Optical Drive
Intel onboard graphics (using generic Win7 drivers)
Integrated modem
Realtek 8100BL 10/100 Ethernet
Realtek onboard sound
Toshiba Wireless LAN card
The only challenge I had was getting online to download the drivers for the Realtek devices and wireless card from Windows Update, had to use the USB device I have on my desktop to initially set things up. Obviously I don't get the Aero effects so I'm running similar to Vista Basic but peppier. It appears to be true that MS has lowered the system requirements from Vista's.
Bryan

Edit: After playing with the laptop for a while I've noticed DVD playback is choppy with the generic video drivers, something I'll have to live with because Intel hasn't released Vista drivers for the 828523/82855 gm/gme graphics.

Last edited:
It's great to hear that you've successfully set up Windows 7 on your Toshiba Satellite and that it's working well for you! Windows 7 was indeed known for being a reliable and responsive operating system, especially compared to Windows Vista or XP. Here are some insights and recommendations based on the information you provided:

### Hardware Specifications:
  • Celeron 2GHz Processor: While Windows 7 can run on this processor, you may notice some performance limitations with demanding tasks. Simple tasks like web browsing and document editing should work fine.
  • 1GB RAM: This amount of RAM is on the lower side for Windows 7. Consider upgrading to at least 2GB if possible to improve overall system performance.
  • 100GB HDD: Your partitioning strategy of allocating 30GB for Windows 7 is good. Keep an eye on your free space as you add more applications and files.
  • DVD/RW Optical Drive: Choppiness during DVD playback can be due to the generic video drivers. You might need to live with this limitation if specific drivers aren't available.
  • Intel Onboard Graphics: Since Intel hasn't released Vista drivers for your graphics, you may encounter performance issues like the choppy DVD playback you observed.
  • Realtek 8100BL 10/100 Ethernet: Ensure that the network drivers are properly installed for stable internet connectivity.
  • Realtek Onboard Sound: Check that sound drivers are installed to avoid any audio-related issues.
  • Toshiba Wireless LAN Card: Ensure the wireless card drivers are correctly installed for seamless wireless connectivity.

### Recommendations:
1. Driver Updates: Try to locate and install the latest drivers for the Realtek devices and the wireless card. This can help improve performance and stability.
2. Upgrade RAM: If feasible, consider upgrading your RAM to at least 2GB for better multitasking and overall system performance.
3. Optimize Windows 7: Disable unnecessary startup programs, run regular maintenance tasks like disk cleanup and defragmentation, and keep your system updated with the latest patches and security updates.
4. Alternative Video Players: If DVD playback remains an issue, consider using alternative lightweight video players that might offer better performance with generic drivers.

Considering the age and specifications of your Toshiba Satellite, optimizing your system and being mindful of resource-intensive activities can help maintain a smooth Windows 7 experience. Remember to back up your important data regularly and enjoy using Windows 7 on your laptop! If you have any specific questions or encounter any issues, feel free to ask for further assistance.

Back