Windows 7 Toshiba THNSNJ128G8NY 128GB PCI-E Gen.3 SSD

ragnarok1968

As some of you know, I own a MSi GT72VR-6RE with ready for VR tech.

Problem: I have a standard SSD, Toshiba THNSNJ128G8NY 128GB PCI-E Gen.3 SSD internal.

it is my OS install drive (Drive C:)

I want to go back to Windows 7 Home Premium as I enjoy it more than 10. I don't hate 10 but I trust 7 much, much more.
If anyone is willing, I called Toshiba for help but I was given a dead end number for a x64Bit Windows 7 driver for this drive, if anyone has the mad skillz to find this for me. I've looked all over the place

-Chris

Ok, I figured this out. the issue with GPT or is it GTP partitions there is a way to get Windows 7 to work

boot to the welcome screen with the Windows 7 DVD. press shift+F10. this will bring up a CMD box.

enter "diskpart" without quotes. then type the command "list drive" and note the number of the SSD drive. mine is Disk 0. then I typed in "clear" and hit enter and the system told me the disk was cleared of all tables etc. (basically). then I hit "clean". exit the CMD box and install to the SSD. no drivers needed! Commands in Red

example:
X:\ Diskpart

next command:

List drive
drive 0 (SSD)
drive 1

Then:
X:\ Clear disk 0

Then I typed for thorough sake:

Clean Disk 0 it gave me a message that it was cleaned!

close the CMD box

cheers! hope this works for everyone. it did for me.

Rag-

Last edited:
ummm … have you considered asking a mod to move the topic to win-7 tutorials?
however, it might need slight revising … to differentiate the narrative (your text) as opposed to command-text … perhaps different color or 'bold' … possibly supplanting the command-text using 'code' tags within this forum. again … just a thought.

keep the spirit, rag.

ummm … have you considered asking a mod to move the topic to win-7 tutorials?
however, it might need slight revising … to differentiate the narrative (your text) as opposed to command-text … perhaps different color or 'bold' … possibly supplanting the command-text using 'code' tags within this forum. again … just a thought.

keep the spirit, rag.

I never had because I didn't know it existed. But now I do. thanks. This should be helpful. I was on Windows 10 and the GPT partition would not allow me to install Windows 7. But this is the workaround or even a legit way. I am glad I don't need drivers

-Rag

Windows 7 does support GPT formatted disks. Somethings to be aware of regarding Windows 7.
  • You have to manually install security updates from the window update catalog site, they no longer come through the windows update mechanism.
  • Windows 7 will be completely end of life in 2020
  • Windows 7 does not support the latest Intel gen 7 CPUs so you won't be able to install on them
  • Make sure TRIM is enabled by running the command fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify it should be set to 0
  • Windows 7 doesn't fully respect SSDs, what I mean by that is if you run a disk defrag Windows 7 will allow it and this will severely reduce the life of you SSD

Windows 7 does support GPT formatted disks. Some things to be aware of regarding Windows 7.
  • You have to manually install security updates from the window update catalog site, they no longer come through the windows update mechanism.
  • Windows 7 will be completely end of life in 2020
  • Windows 7 does not support the latest Intel gen 7 CPUs so you won't be able to install on them
  • Make sure TRIM is enabled by running the command fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify it should be set to 0
  • Windows 7 doesn't fully respect SSDs, what I mean by that is if you run a disk defrag Windows 7 will allow it and this will severely reduce the life of you SSD

I was concerned about this but I did receive <> 1.5 to 2 GB of updates through Windows update. but by all means get the SP1 update
. That was my first concern. I have one of those Windows 7 DVD sets with both the 32 bit and 64bit OS DVD. So I have my license key that I
used. I have a Windows 7 Restore DVD with EVERY version of Windows 7. I just selected my actual version and used my license key.
at any rate, you have to erase the GPT partition because it locks you out from installing it on your SSD.

as for the defrag- it is with Windows 10 as well and I NEVER use it because it damages the SSD drive as you said @Neemobeer .

But getting rid of the former GPT partition is of the utmost. the installer for Windows 7 treats the SSD as a standard harddrive, not harming it in any way, but no need to install any driver.

@Neemobeer , They still do give important updates via the windows update feature. I found someone at Neowin was able to manipulate some files they use to stop processors from working (Kabylake), but this basically overwrites Microsofts lock out. they want us basically to go to Windows 10. This is a grey area I realize, but Microsoft hasn't been too fair to the end users by locking out Kabylake CPU's.

It isn't technically illegal, I don't promote illegality at any level. this just gives the user the ability to use the product of their choice.

in other words: I MISSED WINDOWS 7!! :teeth:

in case anyone wants to know, I'm on a Skylake i7 Skylake 6700HQ Mobile CPU.

Here are a couple ways to do what I was explaining:
Link: "windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."??
Method #1:
1. Boot up to installation DVD/CD.
2. Click install but don't follow through.
3. Press SHIFT-F10 to bring up console.
4. Type "diskpart"
5. Once inside diskpart type:
-> list disk (find the one you want to convert)
-> select disk 0 (select the one you want from the list)
-> convert mbr (should take a second or two)
-> quit
6. Continue with install

Method #2:
1. Boot up to installation DVD/CD.
2. Click install but don't follow through.
3. Press SHIFT-F10 to bring up console.
4. Type "diskpart"
5. Once inside diskpart type:
-> list disk (find the one you want to convert)
-> select disk 0 (select the one you want from the list)
-> clean (wait an hour or so until its done)
-> quit
6. Continue with install

in Method 2, which is what I was getting at, under #5, I didn't need to wait an hour on my SSD. it deleted the partition and everything and then continuing with the install, it treated my SSD as a normal Hardrive.

but this basically overwrites Microsofts lock out. they want us basically to go to Windows 10. This is a grey area I realize, but Microsoft hasn't been too fair to the end users by locking out Kabylake CPU's.
This will invalidate any warranty so care is needed.

This will invalidate any warranty so care is needed.

I used a program WSUS Offline update 10.9.2, this years latest release. I didn't find any update for kb4012218 which is the Windows 7 update that shuts down kabylakes from functioning. But on the other hand, I have EVERY critical update and the earlier mentioned update isn't it in the mix. So I'm assuming, the Windows update system determines who has a kabylake then installs the update. Windows 7 CAN support kabylake CPU's.

Windows 7 CAN support kabylake CPU's.
Heh, Almost definitely but the powers that be want you using the latest os with the latest hardware as apparently they work better together than previous iterations of Windows.. So ultimately they are thinking of your best interests.. ;)

Being on Ryzen I have no choice, but do think windows 10 seems more responsive than 7 ever did.

personally, I think Windows 7 is snappier in my mind. The only issue with Windows 10 that I have is, is the business model. Windows 10 is a software as a service SAAS. I had too many issues with the activation. But for me, I don't do anything tech-heavy that would require the latest OS that Windows 7 can't do. Plus I miss Windows 7 UI. Aero-glass. I think if MS stayed with the talent that was during 7's development, MSFT would be better received.

I've always considered Dave Brubeck to be quite snappy and Windows 10 to be bloody quick.. :D

just a thought, ragnarok1968 … and only if the following happens to be one of the motivating forces compelling you to hang on with win-7 … there is "classic-shell" which offers win-7 start menu as well as aero-theme (i believe) … and the software is free.

just a thought, ragnarok1968 … and only if the following happens to be one of the motivating forces compelling you to hang on with win-7 … there is "classic-shell" which offers win-7 start menu as well as aero-theme (i believe) … and the software is free.

Yeah. I'm aware of Classic-shell. Windows 7 is perfect for me. Microsoft is simply trying to force EVERYONE to Windows 10's model.

Back
Top Bottom