Windows 7 Transfer Word files from Windows XP to Windows 7

cranheim

I have many Word files on my old Windows XP system that I would like to transfer to my new Windows 7 Professional PC. I can copy the files to a zip drive, but do not know where to paste them in the Windows 7 machine. Can anyone tell me if it is possile to do this? If so, where do I paste them so that my new Office 2010 will have access to them?
Thanks for any help you can give me.

cranheim:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
I believe by default you will find that for the most part Windows 7 will save Word files similarly to the way that Windows XP has done which should be here C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents
You may want to, just as a proof of concept measure, create a new word file, save it and then have a look in that location to make sure that the above location is in fact accurate. Keep us posted and let us know if you need any further assistance.
Best Wishes
Randy

I have been trying to do what you suggest, but my problem is that I cannot find a way to display the c drive file "Tree" as I have always done in Windows XP & Windows 98. If I could do that in Windows 7, I could simply copy and paste my existing word files from my XP machine into the Win 7 machine file I select. When I click start, computer, OS (c:), I get a list of icons, instead of the "normal" tree format. Is there a way to change this?

Thanks for your interest and help. I appreciate it very much.

It takes some getting used to but after a while you'll adjust just like the rest of us have. When you open Explorer now, the left had side is called the navigation pane area and should allow you to expand and collapse anything in the drive, folder, file hierarchy by using the small triangle icon left adjacent to the root drive or directory. Not really extraordinarily different than former versions of Windows.
There are several third party pieces of software that can apply a retro/XP effect but I would suggest just taking some time and getting comfortable with the new interface. You may want to for the time being, open explorer and strike the "Alt" key to expose the menu bar and select view and change the view settings to details and see if that is more comfortable for you.

Back