Windows 7 Trying to upgrade, reboot loop.

nine56

Just bought the student discounted Windows 7 Home Premium. I did the upgrade method after it finished downloading. After the install was almost complete, a message came up about having to restart the computer, so I click OK and it restarted. Now it's on a continuous rebooting loop: before W7 loads I get two options: Windows 7 or Windows Setup Rollback. I can also hit F8 to try advanced options. When I use the Windows 7 selection, it starts up and says "Windows encountered an error... reboot and restart the installation." The problem is, I can't restart the installation because it won't bring me to any kind of desktop where I can open and restart the installation again. When I try the Windows Recovery Setup, it just begins to startup and then restarts by itself. No blue screen, just plain old reboot. I've tried the option "Disable auto-restart." It still auto restarts. Please help.

@Rov: As you will read from my post, I downloaded the program. No CD.

@Salt: I have tried it and it seems that it fails to load for some reason

Here's the update: I managed to burn the image onto a disk and use it to boot the laptop. However, when I try to repair the Recovery partition, it fails to repair. I get the following message:

Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Prob Sig. 02: 6.1.7600.16385
P.S. 03: unknown
P.S. 04: 21215624
P.S. 05: External Media
P.S. 06: 2
P.S. 07: Failure During Setup
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Any suggestions?

Yes, I meant to say "a CD2,not the CD.

On your current problem, have you tried an install instead of a repair? I don't know what the other parts of the codes mean, but 6.1(7600) is Windows 7.

When I tell it to install it just says to do it after I boot my computer. I'm fearing that I might have to do a clean install and lose the contents of my hard drive.

There is always a chance you have a bad download.

Do you know anyone else that has an Upgrade DVD of your version?

Did you copy your files to a place they are still accessible?

What software and version were you trying to upgrade from and to?

If you can, get the place you bought the software to send you a DVD.

If you end up not being able to do the in upgrade install, if you do a Custom Install, you old files are still there, but you will have to reload your programs and use the archive to recover your old data.

During the install, you don't have to touch it after the initial setup questions until it is completed. If it stopped and asked you to reboot, then it was showing problems. Do you have anything plugged into the laptop, like USB devices or any other cards you could remove?

There is always a chance you have a bad download.

Do you know anyone else that has an Upgrade DVD of your version?

Did you copy your files to a place they are still accessible?

What software and version were you trying to upgrade from and to?

If you can, get the place you bought the software to send you a DVD.

If you end up not being able to do the in upgrade install, if you do a Custom Install, you old files are still there, but you will have to reload your programs and use the archive to recover your old data.

During the install, you don't have to touch it after the initial setup questions until it is completed. If it stopped and asked you to reboot, then it was showing problems. Do you have anything plugged into the laptop, like USB devices or any other cards you could remove?

Thanks for the help. It seems like an error probably showed up and I hit restart not knowing that it was probably still installing in the background or something.

I did a clean install and it worked fine. Fortunately, I still have all of my old files in windows.old. Does anyone know how I might be able to reload programs that use CD-keys that might be used up, such as Microsoft Office?

Back