Windows 7 Turn on File and Printing Sharing keeps re-enabling by itself

epk1950

Banned
Title says it , Turn on File and Printing Sharing keeps re-enabling by itself.

Any idea's?

Edit:
I enabled this Turn off printing over HTTP aswell.

Just found this in the event logs before enabling Turn off printing over HTTP, and I am still receiving this log info.

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-PrintService/Admin
Source: Microsoft-Windows-PrintService
Date: 8/30/2009 8:07:38 PM
Event ID: 512
Task Category: Initializing a print provider
Level: Error
Keywords: Router,Classic Spooler Event
User: SYSTEM
Computer: 37L4247E29-32
Description:
InitializePrintProvider failed for provider inetpp.dll. This can occur because of system instability or a lack of system resources.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-PrintService" Guid="{747EF6FD-E535-4D16-B510-42C90F6873A1}" />
<EventID>512</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>1</Task>
<Opcode>12</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000002800</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-08-31T01:07:38.951600000Z" />
<EventRecordID>1</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="268" ThreadID="664" />
<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-PrintService/Admin</Channel>
<Computer>37L4247E29-32</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<UserData>
<RouterError xmlns:auto-ns3="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events" xmlns="http://manifests.microsoft.com/win/2005/08/windows/printing/spooler/core/events">
<Name>inetpp.dll</Name>
<Error>0x0</Error>
</RouterError>
</UserData>
</Event>

Last edited:
I know I shouldn't be on this site (because I have Windows XP), but that the only site i've found talking about the same problem as me. SORRY!
My File/Printer Sharing keeps re-enabling itself! (but in Windows XP), Help me please!

I think I just found out, one of my program has an option called "Automaticaly Add an exception to the Firewall". Could it be it? (I unchecked the option, I'll come back after a while to tell you if it worked. Then i'll delete this (my) account because i'm not supposed to be here!)

Last edited:
Rudy:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Thanks for joining our community and the fact that you are still using XP is not a problem, actually we still maintain a Windows XP sub-forum here Link Removed - Invalid URL . So don't concern yourself with that because you fit right in just fine, there's still a lot of folks out there that are using XP.
Now as to your question, I am not exactly clear as to what the issue actually is. You say
My File/Printer Sharing keeps re-enabling itself!
where exactly is this happening? If you type ncpa.cpl into the run box (Windows Key + R) and hit enter the select and right click your network adapter (local area connection by default), are you saying that if you uncheck "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks", that it does not save your changes. Does it revert back instantly and automatically or after a reboot or logoff and logon?
Or are you saying that if you select the advanced tab at the top of your adapter properties dialog box and then click the settings button and then the exceptions tab and uncheck File and Printer Sharing there, that it doesn't save your change? Does that revert back instantly and automatically or after a reboot or logoff and logon?
I suppose either or both of those issues might be related as you suspect to some third party software product.
If you can clarify the issue a little better we might be able to better propose a potential solution. If you could perhaps provide a screen shot image of exactly what you are looking at that seems to be changing on you that might help us help you.
You can use the Alt + Print Screen Key, to capture an image of the active window and paste it into "Paint" and save it as a jpg and attach it to your next post.
Keep us posted as to how you are getting on and good luck.
Regards
Randy

Sans titre.jpg
The picture probably won't say much to you, because it's in French...
So, when I go into my Windows Firewall Exceptions and disable the File/Printer Sharing (the only one checked in picture) it re-enable itself after a reboot.

(I got no problems with the Windows File/Printer Sharing protocol in my network adapter)

The software I previously suspected doesn't seem to be the problem, so it's something else.
What I think would help me is some sort of network monitoring software. Something that
would give me information about the programs that are using my network connection. Does it exist?
It would simplify my search, or at least I would have a list of suspects to check out.

Attachments

• Sans titre.jpg
    Sans titre.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 706
First you're correct as my french is non-existant. However; if you've configured the exception for file and printer sharing correctly in the Windows XP firewall to just include only those IP address that apply to your local subnet then I don't suspect that you actually have any real problem at all, although I'm still not sure why your settings are not preserved after a reboot, I don't seem to have the same issue with mine and I'm trying to reproduce your problem locally to see if I can figure out more about your problem.
Many people use a product called WireShark which I believe is a free for personal use, open source packet capture product which may help you in further diagnosing the issue. That link includes a "Getting Started" video which may help as well if you are not familar with the product.
Keep us posted
Randy

Thanks for WireShark link. It's obviously a big program with lots of options, so i'll need a while to check it out. There's lots of stuff in there and I'll need to do some experimenting, websearches, and documentation read. One thing that seems to be missing is the name of the process that sent/received the packet(s), but there's a lot of options so maybe i just didn't find the right option yet. I'll come back to you in a while with my finds/observations. Thanks again man!

You might also want to try Microsoft's own Network Monitor I've noticed that when you are running a capture and you open a program like IE, Outlook (mail client), Skype, etc., that uses your network, it gets its' own reference as to its' traffic in the left column, which seems to be maybe more what you are looking for, something that might identify the or a program by name.
See if that helps
Randy

Back