UK News : 50p Tax increase to fund broaband upgrade

Highwayman

Extraordinary Member
this just popped in my email box:

"The controversial landline tax, designed to fund next generation broadband services, is to be made law before the general election.

The 50p a month landline tax is to be included in this year's finance bill with the aim to raise up to £175million a year for superfast broadband networks over the next seven years.

However, the tax has been widely criticised as it will not generate enough revenue to upgrade the UK to superfast broadband, as intended. It is also considered a blanket tax that could potentially disadvantage people on fixed incomes, for example pensioners, who rely on home phone."

Seem's to me at least that this project is worth 50p a month of my money anyday provided I'm in the first zones to be upgraded :D, but I can understand why we shouldn't pay for something like that through taxes.

I'm with you on this... I'd pay extra for the investment but then again we're bias...

I saw a news item the other day on TV and apparently the UK is 25th in the world for average net speed.

Shocking! :eek:

I'm with you on this... I'd pay extra for the investment but then again we're bias...

I saw a news item the other day on TV and apparently the UK is 25th in the world for average net speed.

Shocking! :eek:

The quicker people vote that unelected fat scottish jerk out of number 10 the better....lol

im up for it, we need faster and more reliable broadband in this country. Where i live there are very few areas where the is cable, infact, i cant think of anywhere around here that has it, also im in a village ages away fom the exchange so i get 3 megs, and what makes it even worse, im down to 2megs and i have no idea why, even my dam isp don't! SORT IT OUT UK.

That's not too bad, I live in south london and only get 2.5 mb download.. What really gets me is the way they advertise the higher limit like it's supposed to be a possible 8mb download which is virtually impossible with copper wire. Even when they roll out this 20mb download speed, all it will do is effectively double what you've already got. So yet again the end user is being lied to...:mad:

Where's your exchange Highwayman?

Sorry forgot to say...you lucky sod!

Consett / Durham, and from what I been reading BT is activating the 20mb lines at my exchange anytime now...since it's just past the upgrade date, hope that pumps my speed up more...since paying for 24mb service via BE.

Back