Windows 8 Unable to do clean install of Windows 8 64bit

tjs7689

Hello i could use some help. Ive been trying to install Windows 8 on a secondary computer for a few days now from a bootable USB drive and i cant get it too install. It just gets stuck on the purple screen saying Setup Files loading. Im trying to install it on a older motherboard (Asus Rampage 2 Extreme) which might be the problem. I have updated the bios, put the drives to IDE and AHCI, shut off legacy USB. I just can't figure it out. I can install windows 7 64bit with no issue but i just cant get 8 to get past the Setup files loading screen.

Do you have it set in your BIOS to boot from the USB device?

Try putting the ISO on a disc, change the boot order in the bios to boot form cd/dvd drive, then restart and follow on screen prompts.

Yeah i have it the boot order so that it boots from the flash drive first. I was thinking about burning onto a disc and trying that but i have no issue installing windows 7 onto the same computer with the same flash drive. Its frustrating.

Burn the .iso onto a DVD @ a speed x4 or less.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg

If he is on the Purple "setting things up" screen, isn't he past the place where the install media would be involved? Perhaps try removing it during the first reboot would confirm.

Are there any devices on your system you can unplug, or turn off in the bios? And use AHCI if you can.

Yes, that is correct. Now that you mention it, @ that stage the previous OS would, indeed, be history.

Hello i could use some help. Ive been trying to install Windows 8 on a secondary computer for a few days now from a bootable USB drive and i cant get it too install. It just gets stuck on the purple screen saying Setup Files loading. Im trying to install it on a older motherboard (Asus Rampage 2 Extreme) which might be the problem. I have updated the bios, put the drives to IDE and AHCI, shut off legacy USB. I just can't figure it out. I can install windows 7 64bit with no issue but i just cant get 8 to get past the Setup files loading screen.

According to the compatibility centre your motherboard 'should' be fine.

How long are you leaving it on the set up files page?

As your motherboard might not be the culprit then it might be worth running the win 8 install advisor to see what is causing the impasse:

Upgrade Assistant: See if your PC can run Windows 8 - Microsoft Windows

According to the compatibility centre your motherboard 'should' be fine.

How long are you leaving it on the set up files page?

As your motherboard might not be the culprit then it might be worth running the win 8 install advisor to see what is causing the impasse:

Upgrade Assistant: See if your PC can run Windows 8 - Microsoft Windows

I let the screen run for over an hour and it just stuck there with the little blue circle spinning. Im so clueless what to do. I removed my other sticks of ram and left one in, i shut off usb 2.0 controller, i tried installing with a disk and came up with the same problem. This is just crazy. And i cant seem to find any others with the same issue. I will try the upgrade advisor next.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually let it sit on that screen for over a hour. It just sits there with the blue spinning circle. I tried disabling the usb 2.0 controller in the bios, tried to install it with just one stick of ram, tried to install it with a disk that i burned from the iso that i have. And it just keeps getting hung up on the same screen. I will try using the upgrade advisor next but thanks for everyones suggestions so far.

If you are using an Upgrade version of Windows 8, it gets a little sticky when it comes to keeping the sacrificial OS in place so you can activate. But if you are using a drive that does not have the OS, or you can replace it, you might try the install on a clean drive. It will not activate that way, but you will know there is nothing from a prior install causing problems.

To clean the drive you could use the Diskpart clean command.

If you are installing on a drive with a prior OS, there might be some logs left after the system fails. If you can get to them, the link provides possible locations. Anything with a .log extension can be read in Notepad. If you are in the prior OS, the $windows.~bt may be a hidden folder.

Windows Setup Log Files

Back
Top Bottom