Windows 7 unable to format

kunojaba

Hello I want to know how to format my C when I want to install Windows 7?When I format it normaly it formats, I think, very quick like on XP when you choose to format in NTFS quick way which I don't want so how to truly format my C partition?

The only difference between quick format and the full format is that the full format performs a full chkdsk command on the entire disk after the formatting is complete, including a search for bad sectors.

And what about this:
"A full format also performs a chkdsk along with removing the table, a quick format just removes the table."

"full scans for bad sectors. i always do a full format. it doesn't take too long on my small windows partition"

"another difference between quick format and full format is that full format removes everything, while quick format only deletes the root folder and FAT (file allocation table). deleting the fat has the effect that your pc doesn't find the files on your hard disk any more, but they are still there. but because your pc doesn't find them any more, it just writes over them... :)"

"another difference between quick format and full format is that full format removes everything, while quick format only deletes the root folder and FAT (file allocation table). deleting the fat has the effect that your pc doesn't find the files on your hard disk any more, but they are still there. but because your pc doesn't find them any more, it just writes over them... :)"

As far as I'm aware the Windows 7 installer "format" option is just quick format, as even the higher options it presents only take 20 seconds to complete. As opposed to the full checking version found in the OS once installed.

The items you are quoting are correct. But it is not something to truly worry about. By the time you have installed Windows, there is very little left of your original files that can be used.
But if you are really anxious to do a complete format, I would suggest you download one of the partition managers or boot disks, - there are many free offers if you google, and format from those before installing Windows.

And what about this:
"A full format also performs a chkdsk along with removing the table, a quick format just removes the table."

"full scans for bad sectors. i always do a full format. it doesn't take too long on my small windows partition"

NTFS doesn't use file allocation table (FAT) anymore so it doesn't matter. When you do a quick format under NTFS, the only difference is that the disk is not checked after the format. In fact, there are occasions whereas the Windows installer itself, during the installation or upgrade process, will trigger a full chkdsk if it determines there is a problem with the disk. This has happened to me before on clean installs. You have nothing to worry about if you run chkdsk /r /f from a command prompt after the installation is complete (if you are that worried). If you are installing a new OS on a hard drive with bad sectors, you probably want to throw the HD out anyway...

It's not that I'm worried its just curios and since this is a new OS I wanna now, its simple as that.Thanks for the answers, you all were very helpful.And bay the way if I may ask when I format my different partition (non system), after its finished it shows me 128 mb of used space on 146 gb free space and some times I can't explain used 1 gb on same partition.Any ideas?

Last edited:
The only problem with a full format is if you are an impatient person it will take quite awhile for a full format of a Large HD such as a 1.5 TB drive it will be over 3 hours plus to run a full format on a 1.5 TB drive the smaller the drive/partition the less time it takes to do a full format.

It's not that I'm worried its just curios and since this is a new OS I wanna now, its simple as that.Thanks for the answers, you all were very helpful.And bay the way if I may ask when I format my different partition (non system), after its finished it shows me 128 mb of used space on 146 gb free space and some times I can't explain used 1 gb on same partition.Any ideas?
TIP: need to know general information... use the HELP & SUPPORT option from the start icon, then type the subject you require to get a FAQ style brief of the feature.

Last edited:
Back