Windows 7 Unable to install anything in Windows 7

kris42

Suddenly I find programme icons with a shield on and I am unbale to install anything at all. Each time I am told that folder c:\programmes is read only and will not allow access. It will not allow me to use c:\programmes(x86) saying this has disallowed characters.

My otehr PC with WinXP has read only attirbute to c:\programmes but allows anytihng to be installed.

I am logged on aS ADMINISTRTATOR but changing directory attributes is also not possible.

ASyatem ias 1 month old and was workign fine yesterday with no changes made by me to the installation.

Any ideas? ASyastem restore will not work iether as it states unspecidifed errors have occurred.

Factory reset only option now?

No, it simply states that it is 'read only' and tells me to choice anotehr directory to install the programme into.

Right-click on the folder, choose, click the Secutity tab and select you usernamre and give youtself Full Control

Could you please fill in your computer specs in the UserCP link at the top left hand side of the page.

Then click Edit Your Details.

This freeware program will give you all the information you will need:

SIV (System Information Viewer) 4.03

Last edited:
It does sound like something has got corrupted, try running the system file checker.

Right click on command prompt and run as admin', then type
sfc /scannow
and press enter. If it finds anything then it will attempt a repair. If it can't then you could try 'last good known config' which you can access by pressing F8 whilst booting.

Folders in Microsft OS's (I am sure, even with XP?) are all read only by design default. I consider it a bug, But references to it over some years, on Microsft's forums, have never received a descent answer. There is no way, to my knowledge, you can cjange that attribute.

But it automatically refers, before the evnt, to anything which may be placed i the folder.
This does not anwer your question. Which programs have shields on them? There is probably a quite different explanation for this. And which program are you trying to install with refused permission?

It sounds like some customisation program you used has corrupted the OS.

Back
Top Bottom