Unbuntu 11.04 and virtual machines

Lester

Honorable Member
I've tried to run Ubuntu 11.04 in Vmware Player and in Virtualbox, but neither really worked. VMware runs it fine, but doesn't pass on the video features that Unity needs to run, so the install defaults back to Gnome. Since one of my main reasons for trying it was to see if I liked Unity, this sort of kaboshed my trial. So I tried it in Virtualbox, but the installer crashed every time during the install.

Any ideas?

Lester

Any error codes or messages with that?

You may want to check out this tutorial - although the host OS here is Windows 7:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

I don't think it gave me an error code, just told me that the installer crashed and I should place a bug report with Ubuntu. I had already run across that link. From what I've read since, Vmware needs a patch which they haven't released yet, VB has problems as well. They'll both catch up with it eventually, I'm sure. But for now I'll just have to do an actual install to check out Unity.

Lester

Just to follow up...

I went to www.pendrivelinux.com and downloaded their free flash drive installer. This allowed me to install Ubuntu on a 4 gb flash drive and boot to it. Same as a clean install, and you can carry it with you.

Plus I discovered that I don't really care for the Unity UI
:(

LB

Just to follow up, I've got VMware's latest version of the VMware player and it runs the latest versions of Mint and Ubuntu fine. Unity works fine.

So does the Windows 8 preview for that matter.

LB

Back