Windows 7 Unloading the box error. Student edition.

abeveridge89

I purchased the $29.99 student edition of Windows 7 today. The download process seemed to work fine, and all the folders seemed to successfully download to my desktop (expandedSetup, setup1.box, setup2.box, and Win7-HP-Retail-en-us-x86). I opened the .exe and it started, however after about 20 seconds of "unloading the box" I receive an error stating, "an error was encountered. The file or directory is corrupt and unreadable."

I'm not sure if I should delete and re-download the files. I'll be very grateful for any and all help received.

I purchased the $29.99 student edition of Windows 7 today. The download process seemed to work fine, and all the folders seemed to successfully download to my desktop (expandedSetup, setup1.box, setup2.box, and Win7-HP-Retail-en-us-x86). I opened the .exe and it started, however after about 20 seconds of "unloading the box" I receive an error stating, "an error was encountered. The file or directory is corrupt and unreadable."

I'm not sure if I should delete and re-download the files. I'll be very grateful for any and all help received.

I would re-download the package, and try again. I didn't have an issue downloading it the first time, so maybe it downloaded incorrectly or unpacked wrong. It's hard to say.

Good luck though.

Many folks had error messages when unpacking the files, although maybe not the same one you had. They went ahead and used the files, but it may have caused problems later, I do not know.

Have you thought of downloading the .iso instead and burning it to a DVD?

Many folks had error messages when unpacking the files, although maybe not the same one you had. They went ahead and used the files, but it may have caused problems later, I do not know.

Have you thought of downloading the .iso instead and burning it to a DVD?

I would do this except I do not have a DVD burner. I looked into the USB flash drive method also, but do not have a 4 gig drive, which is required. Would my best move, at this time, be to call Microsoft?

I would suggest you move the unpacked files to another location, then delete the prior download and do it again. If nothing else, you could compare files from the first and second download to see if any it incorrect.

You do not seem to have many options about how you install, but I would also suggest before you start the install that you move the installation files to another partition and run the install from there. If something goes wrong, at least those files won't be overwritten.

I would suggest you move the unpacked files to another location, then delete the prior download and do it again. If nothing else, you could compare files from the first and second download to see if any it incorrect.

You do not seem to have many options about how you install, but I would also suggest before you start the install that you move the installation files to another partition and run the install from there. If something goes wrong, at least those files won't be overwritten.

I've gotten Windows 7 up and running. I downloaded the .iso that Microsoft provided for students, and that worked fine. All is well except my sound is not working, I downloaded the drivers it told me to download, but still to no avail. Any ideas?

To get the sound to work, most folks have had to download Audio drivers from their computer maker or motherboard manufacturer. For some reason, Windows 7 seems to install drivers for HD audio, but not for normal audio if the HD is available. I suppose it could also be that the chipset drivers Win 7 installs does not allow it to recognize the Audio system and load the full contingent of drivers.

I have not tried, but if you have HD audio on your system and are not going to use it, try to disable it in the bios or in Device Manger. Maybe Win 7 would be able to load other drivers for the other device.

Back