Windows 10 Unmountable boot volume

Peter H Williams

I have seen other references but typically with older Windows. This is Windows 10 Pro which has just been delivered to me on a (new to me but refurbed ) PC. Athlon CPU, 8gb memory, 250 ssd and 500 gb hdd.

I have been trying to create a functional PC for about 2.5 days. When I got the PC I turned it on , loaded software and noticed it was slow loading apps. Thought I'd reboot only to come across failure after failure..

I think the initial problem was THIS PC HAS RUN INTO PROBLEMS AND WILL RESTART followed by Diagnosing my PC etc, etc.

I then tried to BOOT from a USB and yes I got there and got a system that seemed to run. The I tried to reboot again and the same problem when booting from the SSD (I assume). I tried various repairs etc and no real solution. Eventually did a complete 'new installation' and same again. The last attempt was the new installation and reformat of SSD and still the same.

The error is as per title and this appears to tie in - i.e. Unmountable boot volume if I reboot from USB (or DVD) then I can get a system up and running ( but appears to crash eventually) but can not boot from HDD (SSD in this case)

All the information I have seen just suggest that a WINDOWS Repair would do the job but obviously not in this case

Any help / suggestions appreciated.

Sounds like you have a bad hard drive.. Boot into safe mode if you can and run chkdsk from the command line. If the no errors are found then...I would replace the hard drive and then reinstall the is.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

WIll try and advise later. Have managed SAFEMODE previously but not done CHKDSK.
Do you suggest both the SSD & HDD - for CHKDSK & possible replacement (sort of assume the SSD)?

You can test both your SSD & your HDD using tests from this link: Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure
It's always best to test 1 drive at a time in your system; so it's best to test your bootdrive (C: drive), which I am assuming is your SSD drive. Disconnect or remove your HDD from your PC, while testing the SSD bootdrive. If it returns any errors, it's likely it's failed and must be replaced. Remove the SSD drive from your PC and test your HDD drive which will need to be hooked up to power and data connectors that were being used previously by your SSD. Even if it's not bootable, which it's probably not since you don't have an OS on it, you can still test it with drive diagnostics. You may need to use a different 2nd working computer on which to download certain diagnostics such as TRIM, Seatools, DLG, etc. depending on the exact make/model of that 2nd drive. If tests on the HDD drive in the bootdrive position (SATA0) return errors, then your HDD has failed as well and must be replaced as well.

You will need to replace at least 1 of the 2 failed drives on which to install your Windows, and from there you can use utilities to recover any data that you didn't have backed up from those 2 drives onto other external media. (Data Recovery). If you've never done this before, you should still set them aside and take to your local Tech to attempt Data Recovery of any information you need off of those drives before tossing them into your local recycle bin.

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<BIGBEARJEDI>>

Great BIGBEARBEARD,

Many thanks for your comprehensive response.
I am however expecting to return to the vendor (as suggested by vendor). It is packed now !

All makes sense. Don't have data to retrieve - I was in process of transferring from OLD machine (which I am using now)

Back
Top Bottom