Update LCD panel to 1440p On laptop

Calby

Hi,
I got a 1080p LCD panel now on my Lenovo T470s and that version can also bee delivered with a 1440p display that has way better RGB tracking.

So I'm wondering if it's a good ide to replace the display to a 1440p?
The price is only 90USD for it on eBay, and the motherboard is the same on my computer as it is if you choose the 1440p from the factory.

Replacing it should not bee so hard, just take off the panel then 4 screws and one connector according to Lenovo hardware manual.

I got the proper ESD tools and also ESD mat etc as I use to work with other boards etc.

Here is the LCD from eBay that I'm looking at:
3K QHD 2560X1440 14.0" LCD SCREEN for Lenovo Thinkpad T470S T470 non-touch NY440 | eBay

Whether it's a good idea or not is completely up to you. I personally wouldn't spend the time on it but if it's looks better to you go for it. A screen replacement is a medium difficulty task. The screen will either have screws under rubber caps in the bezel and/or it will be entirely plastic clips on the inner side of the bezel and can be removed with a plastic pry bar you can find online for a couple dollars. Once the bezel is off you will need to remove the screws holding the screen to the metal frame and disconnect the display cable and reverse the process for install.

Whether it's a good idea or not is completely up to you. I personally wouldn't spend the time on it but if it's looks better to you go for it. A screen replacement is a medium difficulty task. The screen will either have screws under rubber caps in the bezel and/or it will be entirely plastic clips on the inner side of the bezel and can be removed with a plastic pry bar you can find online for a couple dollars. Once the bezel is off you will need to remove the screws holding the screen to the metal frame and disconnect the display cable and reverse the process for install.

I see, well it's 100 nits brighter also.
Do you think the display is good? It seem to bee leight?

Lenovo is a Chinese company. They bought the hardware division from IBM for the thinkpads.

That's correct. All major US computer companies have their manufacturing done in China using Chinese made parts (Dell, HP) these days with a few exceptions (Japan for passive components and Malaysia for Hard Drives). So most computer parts come from there. Major exceptions are if you have one of the Japanese branded laptops, Toshiba, Fujitsu, and Panasonic. They use many parts such as LCD displays made in Japan due to the lower cost of not having to import them from China. They make most of their own stuff in-country. Toshiba laptops used to be assembled here in the US, I worked at the factory where we did that; but they moved back to Japan in 1990; about 25+ years ago. It's useful to know this, as many people think computer parts such as components are still made in factories in the US. This hasn't been true for decades, but it's not widely known if you don't work in the business; as US companies downplay the true origins of where these parts are manufactured due to the "sore-spot" many Americans have when their jobs were outsourced or lost to the Chinese/Japanese/India due to the huge labor differential they pay factory workers in these countries. A sad-fact of life. My IT job went offshore as well, so I understand this all too well!:waah:

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

That's correct. All major US computer companies have their manufacturing done in China using Chinese made parts (Dell, HP) these days with a few exceptions (Japan for passive components and Malaysia for Hard Drives). So most computer parts come from there. Major exceptions are if you have one of the Japanese branded laptops, Toshiba, Fujitsu, and Panasonic. They use many parts such as LCD displays made in Japan due to the lower cost of not having to import them from China. They make most of their own stuff in-country. Toshiba laptops used to be assembled here in the US, I worked at the factory where we did that; but they moved back to Japan in 1990; about 25+ years ago. It's useful to know this, as many people think computer parts such as components are still made in factories in the US. This hasn't been true for decades, but it's not widely known if you don't work in the business; as US companies downplay the true origins of where these parts are manufactured due to the "sore-spot" many Americans have when their jobs were outsourced or lost to the Chinese/Japanese/India due to the huge labor differential they pay factory workers in these countries. A sad-fact of life. My IT job went offshore as well, so I understand this all too well!:waah:

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Sorry that you did loose your job, I to did loose my work here in Sweden when I did work at Ericsson because they did move the hole factory to Estonia.
The best job that I every had, did love to test and assumble and also fix the radioboxes and cards :)

Yes, unfortunately, it was quite a nasty fallout for a lot of folks in the Computer-Electronics profession after the "dot.com" bust in 2000-2001. That too was my best job ever, as I ran a corporate network of 680 computers in 26 states in 3 continents as IT Manager. Thanks for your good words, and best of luck with the new display.:encouragement:

<<<BBJ>>>

Just a update if someone are looking in this thread with the same question, the update is not possible as the FHD is 30pin and QHD is 40pin sadly.

Thanks for posting that information back!;) You will save other forum Users from trying to do a hardware upgrade that is impossible to do.

<<<BBJ>>>

Back