Windows 7 Update windows 7 without upgrading to windows 10

TorMike

Honorable Member
I'm not interested in upgrading to windows 10 yet everything I check 'Window Update' I'm told I have 39 outstanding updates. When I start the update the window displays an 'Updating to Windows 10'.

I just want the updates to 7 not an upgrade to 10! Is it really upgrading me to 10 or I'm I only updating 7?

I have not reserved an 10 upgrade, at least I don't think I have.

This is very irritating. If you look at the Optional Updates, you will see the Win10 upgrade is checked. If you uncheck it, you should then be able to install the updates you really want.

I posted yesterday about a related issue where it took 3-1/2 hours for Windows Update to find the updates for my system. However, it wouldn't give me the download screen and insisted on the Win10 upgrade. The Optional Update button was not available. So, I hit the start upgrade button, then hit Stop Download. That returned me to download the updates I've chosen screen and I could download it normally.

This is a really nasty push by Microsoft to make you go to Win10. I tried it and it didn't play well with my system.

I removed update release KB3035583 and that seemed to stop the constant request from Microsoft to upgrade. I was successfully updating my Windows 7 O/S until this week. What a mess.
I'm not sure the update process will actually UPGRADE my O/S, but I don't want to chance it.

Not a fan of Microsoft at the best of times and this is just one of the reasons.

I removed update release KB3035583 and that seemed to stop the constant request from Microsoft to upgrade. I was successfully updating my Windows 7 O/S until this week. What a mess.
I'm not sure the update process will actually UPGRADE my O/S, but I don't want to chance it.

Not a fan of Microsoft at the best of times and this is just one of the reasons.
Possibly, the source of your problem is that MS just released a MAJOR update to Win10 (it took as much time as the original installation on the two machines I have running it). It might be that, although you defeated the original messaging, as I thought I had as well, this new update trumps those fixes.

This is why I love my iMac and Unbuntu (linux), both just work. I develop backend apps, mostly database (Oracle & MySQL) apps and must run windows O/S for testing. So far been able to avoid 10 but I may not have an excuse.

Back